Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jet DC-1100 and DC-1200 Vortex Cone Upgrade

Jet DC-1100 and DC-1200 Vortex Cone Upgrade

Hi everyone. I have been away from the site for a while but i recently upgraded my Jet dust collector and added the vortex cone to it. The results were good enough to get me to reset my password and log in and post about it. I bought my DC-1100 about 8 or 9 years ago and i have the one with the canister. I pretty frequently have to stop and rotate the arm to clean out the filter due to loss of suction and every couple of months i take off the canister and give it a really good cleaning. To be fair i use a drum sander quite a bit so i'm not complaining about having to clean it (cost of doing business). When the vortex cone collectors came out and a retrofit was not offered there was no way i was going to spend the money on a new dust collector just for that. I also wasn't really interested in making my own cone or doing some kind of home made retrofit.

Anyway i was patient and a few months ago i noticed that jet now sells the parts!! The part numbers are the same for the DC-1100 and the DC-1200. The cone part number is DC1100-47 ($30.78) and the support bracket is DC1100-47-1 ($6.90). The parts fit perfectly. I spent some time making sure the hole on the support bracket was dead center because i knew that was the key to the install. You have to drill the four holes to mount the support bracket but that is the only real modification. Take your time with that step and get the cone centered. I got the hardware from the local hardware store because it is really expensive through jet (like $32.45 total !!). But since i'm taking the time to post here is the hardware:

TS-1490021 - Hex Cap Screw - M8x16 - 1 required ($2.95).
    TS-1550061 - Flat Washer - M8 - 1 required ($2.95).
    TS-1540061 - Hex Nut - M8 - 1 required ($2.95).
    TS-1482021 - Hex Head Bolt - M6x12 - 4 required ($2.95).
    TS-2311061 - Hex Nut - M6 - 4 required ($2.95).

Anyway here is the reason i'm taking the time to post this....... HANDS DOWN THE BEST $40 I HAVE EVER SPENT!! This upgrade is absolutely amazing. I have filled/changed my collection bag 6 times and i didn't clean the filter once on purpose to see what it would look like. I cleaned it off today and there was practically nothing in the filter. Only the really really fine dust is making its way up there and even then there wasn't much of that. I just can't say enough good things about this upgrade. The cone isn't just hype its amazing. After 6 full bag change outs i haven't lost an ounce of suction due to the filter clogging.

Anyway hope this helps all those out there thinking about this upgrade. Cheers!

Thanks! Just ordered them for my 1100 with canister.

Thanks for the review... and doing all the leg work. I've been meaning to do this just haven't had the time to figure it all out.

Will this work on the PM model 075? This is the older version of the PM1900.

Jeffrey, did the same retrofit on my Dc-1100. Bought the bracket and cone from Jet and got the metric screws, nuts and washers for a couple bucks from Home Depot. Definitely makes a huge difference. Cannister filter is mostly clean, except for the fines. I still am in the habit of spinning the paddles to clean the filter every once in a while. Can't hurt, but definitely have better suction all the time.

My gut says yes but I really have no idea. I don't know anything about that dust collector but if the housing the cone bolts to is the same diameter and the inner hole is the same diameter I don't see why it wouldn't work. Take a look at the manual for the jet collectors and see if the parts look the same and if they take the same bags. Another good way to figure it out would be to look at current replacement parts for your unit. It the housing part number has been replaced by the current part numbers for the PM collectors with the cone I think you will be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kibler View Post
    My gut says yes but I really have no idea. I don't know anything about that dust collector but if the housing the cone bolts to is the same diameter and the inner hole is the same diameter I don't see why it wouldn't work. Take a look at the manual for the jet collectors and see if the parts look the same and if they take the same bags. Another good way to figure it out would be to look at current replacement parts for your unit. It the housing part number has been replaced by the current part numbers for the PM collectors with the cone I think you will be good to go.
    I would hope that the parts are same since Jet and Powermatic collectors look similar. Do you have a picture of the part before and after installed. Thanks.

We need to get this stickied, great input!!!!! I have a DC1200 I plan on doing it to, picked it up for $100...been spending my time rehabbing my cnc...its amazing what some fools do......

Great idea!

Has anyone tried to see if the dimensions match any Taiwanese cousins (like perhaps the Grizzly G1029Z)?

I'm curious, since I'd upgraded my DC1100A earlier this summer with a baffle/separator based on Phil Thien's design, what the comparative performance would between the vortex cone and Phil's baffle, which does essentially the same thing. Does anyone know if this has been evaluated by anyone anywhere?

This is fantastic. Thanks so much for posting this. I just ordered my parts, really appreciate it.

I'm not familiar with this. Is this just for canisters, or does it work with bags as well. I lost too much flow with canisters and went back 48" bags.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    I'm curious, since I'd upgraded my DC1100A earlier this summer with a baffle/separator based on Phil Thien's design, what the comparative performance would between the vortex cone and Phil's baffle, which does essentially the same thing. Does anyone know if this has been evaluated by anyone anywhere?
    I played with inverted funnels as one of the first shapes I tried. Also Frisbees.

The problem is, the continuous gap around the perimeter couples the air masses above and below too strongly, so the debris in the bottom bag continues to spin way too fast. This reanimates previously settled debris and increases scrubbing something awful.

The 120/240 proportions of my baffle allows the debris in the bottom bag to slow and settle, and stay settled.

This was independently verified by this guy: http://www.ary.com/WoodWorking/Shop/Jet/ (page isn't loading now). He built his own cone and found the debris below it was spinning too fast, and wouldn't settle. He added what he called a 120-degree "brim" to his cone (making what he called a tin-man's hat) and found the debris below the "hat" now settled and stayed settled.

If you go to my site's discussion forum and study the Department of Energy research on the Thien baffle, you will find the quasi-Thien shape provides the best separation of the shapes tested. In fact, the document advocates using quasi-Thien separators to improve final separation after conventional cyclones.

It is likely a good thing that the Department of Energy and some universities have started playing with my baffle design because contributions at my website have slowed to a trickle ($35 in the last six months) so I don't have much available funding-wise to prototype improvements designed to decrease resistance.

Just for reference, older DC1200's have a spiral ramp where the inlet comes into the collector. This makes it much harder to mount either a Thien baffle or the Jet vortex cone. I had to make up some custom brackets to support the cone, but it seems to be working.

I too have done this excellent mod and concur that it is money well spent. In fact, I will go so far to say that if you have a Jet 1100, it is stupid not to do it. Be sure to buy the bracket with the cone. Installation time is about 15 minutes on a slow day.

Gary
    Facebook.jpg