Thread: Scratched cyclone

Scratched cyclone

So I accidentally got chunk of 4x4 perforated stainless steel sucked up in my clearvue max. It cracked the impeller housing and put an ok amount of scratches in the cyclone cone before it got dumped into the bin. I am going to pull down the unit to replace the plastic housing but wondering if you think the moderate scratches in the cone are going to affect separation quality of the cyclone. Not sure what I could do besides replace it which seems extreme. Thanks

I would not think the scratches would effect it much. Take notice to the airflow over the scratches once it is back up and running. If you have a lot more turbulent flow it may be effecting it some, but probably not much.

Depending on how the housing is cracked, you may be able to just glue it back together. If all the parts are holding together, a solvent-based cement should just wick into the cracks.

And I'm with Matthew thinking that the scratches in the cone wouldn't be a problem. But if you're really worried about it, you should be able to buff the scratches out by reaching into the cone from the top.

Seems like you could fill the scratches with bondo, or clear epoxy, and sand smooth if they prove to be an issue. (Not sure what will bond to the plastic, you should look that up first)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Depending on how the housing is cracked, you may be able to just glue it back together. If all the parts are holding together, a solvent-based cement should just wick into the cracks.
    ClearVue recommended to me a specific glue for their plastic parts. Might call and ask.