Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian Cherry Rocker

Brazilian Cherry Rocker

I'm getting a new brazilian cherry rocker and want to know the best thing to put on it to keep the amazing color of the wood. They suggest using BLO or Teak oil. Can anyone make a suggestion of which one and type to use.

Thank you,

Scott
    Last edited by scott opus; 07-12-2005 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Scott;
    The only time I used tead oil was on teak and I just started using BLO. I noticed on the red oak that the BLO did make some of the Red in the OAK stand out. On the other hand, the teak oil did seem to enhance the red in the teak when I used it. I'd try a sample on each on the underside of the piece but I personaly think the teak oil will win.

Just recieved the chairs

I'm planning on putting them together tonight. The wood looks dull and really dry. I can't wait to put some oil on them to bring out the wood grain and color. From what I've read around here and the internet, I think I'm going to go with teak oil over BLO since teak oil has better UV protections and other additives. Does anyone know what brands or Teak oil Lowes or Home Depot have?

Thank you in advance,

Scott

I'm not sure if you are using these inside or outside (UV pototection?). I've used Penofin Hardwood oil on outdoor teak furniture and have been very impressed on the protection and depth of grain. It's great, but expensive, stuff. I paid $40 for a gallon at a local building supply company.

When I rebuild my outdoor decking with mahogany, I plan on using this.

Bob

I believe I saw Watco Teak Oil at Lowes or HD recently.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Penofin

I just called a local lumber supply carries Penofin Exotic Hardwood Finish. I don't mind the price since I bought the rockers for the wood grain and color. I am planning on using these outside during the spring, summer, and fall months.

Watco

I just called both Lowes and HD to find out they both sell Watco teak oil. So your right on both places, Mark.

Thanks,

Scott

Sorry about all the questions, but when I was reading about the Penofin hardwook finish it says-

Penofin Finish for Hardwood is used for all fine hardwoods such as ipe, Pau Lope®, Ironwood™, mahogany, and teak.
    Can anyone tell me what ipe means?

Thank you,

Scott

Ipe is a dense, exotic hardwood used in outdoor applications. The Atlantic City boardwalk was built many years ago with Ipe (or one of its' cousins). It can be left to weather (silver), or kept dark with oil (like Penofin).

Others on this forum have used it often. There is lots of info on the web.

Bob

I got a gallon of the Penofin Finish for Hardwood and will be appling it tonight to the rockers. It only cost $36.99 which I thought was a pretty good price. Thanks to everyone for their respones!

Scott

Too bad you don't live in CT. (or maybe you do). My gallon will last a couple of years and I'll probably ending up throwing it out before I use it all up. You could have tried some of mine.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by scott opus
    I got a gallon of the Penofin Finish for Hardwood and will be appling it tonight to the rockers. It only cost $36.99 which I thought was a pretty good price. Thanks to everyone for their respones!

Scott

Thanks for the offer Bob. I've already bought it and I'm in Delaware. I know what you mean about having enough for years. It took about a 1 cup to do the first coat on the first rocker. I'm going to do the second one tomorrow. The Penofin Hardwood finish went on so easy. It really brought out the color. Hears a picture of one with the Penofin finish and one virgin rocker.

Wow Scott...that turned out pretty nice! I make a lot of clocks out of brazillian cherry. I might have to try that finish as well. Thanks for taking the plunge for me!! BTW...How's the "feel" of it?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Do keep in mind that even with UV protection in your finish, your wood will still grey over time. It's a natural process and you cannot stop it.

Beautiful rocker, by the way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John,

I've wiped it off 30 minutes after I applied it. I wiped it down again today before I sat on it. I compared the feel between the unfinished and the finished one. The finish feel just a little smoother but not oily at all.

Jim,

I'm going to re-apply again in 3 month per instructions. I know I can't stop UV damage but I going to fight it all the way. When it does turn grey, I clean it the re-finish it.

Thanks for all the infomation and tips!