Thread: my new toy, 20 inch grizzly planer

my new toy, 20 inch grizzly planer

I got in my garage now I just need to try and get it into my woodshop it weighs alot! seems to be in good shape, used a decent amount but only as a hobby. bought from super nice guy who was downsizing. I got it for 500$ how did I do?

only issue I noticed is that the rollers the one is slightly wore where it is in the arm, I think I can put a washer there and get it off the wore spot. and the arm holding the roller seems wore where the roller enters it. I don't think it will be an issue but any ideas how to correct it would be welcome. is there any place you could get a reasonably price similar roller that has bearings to prevent wear like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Every time I see a really great deal on a machine it is in Michigan. What is going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I got it for 500$ how did I do?
    I'll tell you how you did...

You SUCK!!!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Must be something in the wind. I just got this for just a little more money. Sorry can't post a picture. It a 5 year old G5850 planer

Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 10-13-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I'll tell you how you did...

You SUCK!!!
    He was asking 800$ which wasn't to bad but I definitely could not afford, he went down to 500 hopefully I can sell my Foley belsaw / craftsman 12 inch planer for 4-500 then the grizzly will be really cheap!

I sold a import 20+ year old 15" planer month ago for $425 so think ya did good.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    He was asking 800$ which wasn't to bad but I definitely could not afford, he went down to 500 hopefully I can sell my Foley belsaw / craftsman 12 inch planer for 4-500 then the grizzly will be really cheap!
    Well...come to think of it...I got my wife from out near you, so there are definitely deals to be had there.

IIRC, she didn't cost me anything at the time. However, it was apparently some sort of payment plan...because I have been paying ever since...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Nice looking machine for 500 dollars!

I can't tell you how many times I wish I had one of those. It won't fit in my small basement shop, but somehow I'd make it work. It's beautiful. Now wipe the smile off your face, you look too happy.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Good score Cody. I sold my 1033 a few weeks back and I miss it. I had to down size due to space. The rotation of the crank handle is exactly 1/16th. Rolled up or down I was able to repeatedly hit the same numbers. Mine had a Byrd head installed when I got it so changing knives I can't comment on other than it will be easier than old machine

BTW I wouldn't put to much emphasis on fixing the rollers. I had my intake side adjusted to be just a few thou below the table and the outfeed side really is just a catch so to wasn't critical.

Make the 4 inch block that the manual talks about to ensure your table is level and the in and out feed roller are adjust correctly and off you go. Enjoy!
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 10-19-2014 at 7:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I had my intake side adjusted to be just a few thou below the table and the outfeed side really is just a catch so to wasn't critical.

Make the 4 inch block that the manual talks about to ensure your table is level and the in and out feed roller are adjust correctly and off you go. Enjoy!
    Really? Below the table? So the wood was sliding on the table.

I used the rollers to compensate for the cutterhead being a little off. A difference of 6 thou measuring from the table from one side to the other. I like it when the wood comes out the same thickness all the way across.

Mike,

Page 12 of the manual talks about adjustment of the table. Adjustments are .016 increments I don't know how to get rid of .006 from side to side unless you you use shim foil under the cutter head bearing. That would be a PIA. Not trying to be a wise guy but yeah the wood indexes to the bed of the planer.

You know you could make that adjustment with the knives using the gauge (called out on page 36) instead of setting to the diameter of the cutter head.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 10-19-2014 at 3:55 PM. Reason: add the last comment

Mike,

Page 12 of the manual talks about adjustment of the table. Adjustments are .016 increments I don't know how to get rid of .006 from side to side unless you you use shim foil under the cutter head bearing. That would be a PIA. Not trying to be a wise guy but yeah the wood indexes to the bed of the planer.

You know you could make that adjustment with the knives using the gauge (called out on page 36) instead of setting to the diameter of the cutter head.
    Tried compensating by setting the blades differently. Bad idea. I believe it threw the balance off too much. Using the rollers worked really well. Much better solution. Someone suggested adjusting the height by advancing (or setting back) the cogs underneath with the chain. Looks a little more difficult then my solution.

Good score Cody. I sold my 1033 a few weeks back and I miss it. I had to down size due to space. The rotation of the crank handle is exactly 1/16th. Rolled up or down I was able to repeatedly hit the same numbers. Mine had a Byrd head installed when I got it so changing knives I can't comment on other than it will be easier than old machine

BTW I wouldn't put to much emphasis on fixing the rollers. I had my intake side adjusted to be just a few thou below the table and the outfeed side really is just a catch so to wasn't critical.

ok, thanks I will have to try it out after I get my blades back from being sharpened and see how it goes.

I got the blades back from being sharpened, when you the adjustment jig that comes with it 1 or 2 of the blades at most parts were adjusted correctly at a few the blade was a small amount higher (not sure how to measure) I am assuming they are not perfectly straight from sharpener, is that normal?