Thread: Whatzit?

Whatzit?

I found this while cleaning up my late father's workbench (such as it is.....) It was all gunked up with a sticky oil - I'm assuming some sort of paint/varnish/solvent residue - brush cleaner brought it to the condition seen here. It's about 5" long. The hooked lower arm folds back into a recess in the wooden handle.

So - all you tool junkies - Whatzit?

DSCN0066resize.jpg

I think that is a timber scribe . Used to mark the ends. I'm pretty sure someone will be able to give more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think that is a timber scribe . Used to mark the ends. I'm pretty sure someone will be able to give more detail.
    Bingo!!!!!
    timber scribe.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 10-13-2014 at 8:31 PM.

OK! Excellent - a timber scribe. Don't know what I'll ever do with it, though.

There was actually another interesting mystery tool found as well, but I was able to ID it myself. Nice brass case, three oddly configured steel blades that folded into the case along with a double beveled knife blade - ADV. Replicas NYC cast into the inside of the case. So how many of you know what a fleam is?

Learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Darrow View Post

There was actually another interesting mystery tool found as well, but I was able to ID it myself. Nice brass case, three oddly configured steel blades that folded into the case along with a double beveled knife blade - ADV. Replicas NYC cast into the inside of the case. So how many of you know what a fleam is?

Learn something new every day.
    fleam , I saw the name before BUT do not remember where

A fleam is a tool used in the old days for blood letting. They said if you were not felling well they would cut you with a fleam and get the bad blood out. The barber was also the guy that would do this. Those were the good old days.
    Last edited by TODD RAYMER; 10-14-2014 at 2:27 PM. Reason: to add to

Todd - 'zackley! Dad was an MD - I figure this was a promo from maybe a drug company or something similar, probably came in a nice box w/ company name/logo. Don't think Dad ever used it - at least not for the purging of bad humors.......

Todd - 'zackley! Dad was an MD - I figure this was a promo from maybe a drug company or something similar, probably came in a nice box w/ company name/logo. Don't think Dad ever used it - at least not for the purging of bad humors.......
    so this fleam is a type of knife ,are they illegal to own /carry

Blog Entries
    Her's what it is used for. Timber Scribe use
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute