Thread: Tool post upgrade question

Tool post upgrade question

I am wishing to upgrade the tool post on a South Bend 10K. I have heard good things about the Aloris. But they are pricey. I was wondering if any one had other holders they could recommend. Thank you. Ron

Ron, the Aloris tool holder is supreme but way overkill. I’m not sure of the brand but I have a quick-change that looks almost identical to this: LatheMaster

Mine might be a little larger, I can use a ¾” bit and the Lathemaster looks like it takes a ½” bit.
    It works great but it’s not as repeatable as the Aloris.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have been using a KDK knock-off for years. It has 6 attachments that pretty much take care of almost every machining need. I have a heavy duty 10 and I love it but once in a while wish I had a 17" for bigger jobs. I have never used the Aloris sets but they seem to be the holders that are most available.
    David B

I have a Phase 2, available from Enco. It may not be an Aloris, but at 1/3 of the price it's much better value for the hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aspinall View Post
    I have a Phase 2, available from Enco. It may not be an Aloris, but at 1/3 of the price it's much better value for the hobbyist.
    I have something similar. The Aloris are the Cadillac's though. Enco, Grizzly and MSC all have some good quality budget quick change systems that are an excellent addition to a metal lathe.

Thank you. Took a look while at a Grizzly warehouse. Looks like Phase II it is.
    On a separate note I am considering trying to have the ways re ground. Anyone know of a source to have this done?

The lathe ways reground? Google Machinery rebuilding services.
    It is not a quick or inexpensive process.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    The lathe ways reground? Google Machinery rebuilding services.
    It is not a quick or inexpensive process.
    Phase II is a good choice and get the wedge style. I lucked out with my long gone SB Heavy 10, I found someone with a lathe that had been smashed in a accident but the bed was perfect. Do some searching who knows? I think I paid $200 to my door in Iowa from someone in Wyoming.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10