Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 National Electrical Code (2014)

2014 National Electrical Code (2014)

It will answer all sorts of electrical questions that get asked here every week.

https://archive.org/details/nfpa.nec.2014
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-13-2014 at 2:45 PM.

Tom, great idea. It may not end up being a sticky but it is now a shortcut on my desktop. Thanks a lot for sharing. I use Mike Holt's on line site frequently when I need enough information to ask intelligent questions of a local code person prior to starting a project.
    David B

Thanks, now on my PC's.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Just remember that the NEC is not the final authority on electrical wiring in most areas. The NEC was written and is maintained by a private professional organization (NFPA) and does not carry the authority of law. It is the individual community authorities who choose whether to adhere to it strictly. Every place I have done electrical work has slightly different local rules they have adopted and these always supersede the NEC. Sometimes these exceptions seem ridiculous to me but you won't get the power turned on until you comply.

Good point, Art. The same thing goes for plumbing. I recently worked on a house is Raleigh, NC (never worked there before), and the inspectors wanted some plumbing stuff beyond code that I had never seen before. It's worth checking the code first though. I've seen a lot of questions on this Forum that would have been unnecessary to ask if the OP had simply looked it up in the code first. It seems easier to just ask on a public forum, but there is also the common problem of answers that just aren't right either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Good point, Art. The same thing goes for plumbing. I recently worked on a house is Raleigh, NC (never worked there before), and the inspectors wanted some plumbing stuff beyond code that I had never seen before. It's worth checking the code first though. I've seen a lot of questions on this Forum that would have been unnecessary to ask if the OP had simply looked it up in the code first. It seems easier to just ask on a public forum, but there is also the common problem of answers that just aren't right either.
    Good point. I used to build metal buildings around the state. The first day in a new town, I would take the building inspector to lunch, and ask him what gave him the most problems. Rest assured that on my project this wouldn't be a problem. Best ten bucks I ever spent while in the building business.

Also keep in mind that every State adopts different codes and different versions.

For example in Virginia, the VUSBC is the adopted code and the current version is 2012 with adopts the IEC with references the 2011 NEC. So for the next few years, electrical work falls under the 2011 NEC and not the 2014 NEC. So you should check your State website or the locality website to see which is the currently accepted version of the various codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Good point. I used to build metal buildings around the state. The first day in a new town, I would take the building inspector to lunch, and ask him what gave him the most problems. Rest assured that on my project this wouldn't be a problem. Best ten bucks I ever spent while in the building business.
    Amen! The inspector is the local authority and has the power to interpret the rules almost any way he wishes. Arguing with him over a technical point of code is a losing battle! Always better to schmooze him up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    Amen! The inspector is the local authority and has the power to interpret the rules almost any way he wishes. Arguing with him over a technical point of code is a losing battle! Always better to schmooze him up a bit.
    , I always say "Inspector has MAGIC PEN. He uses it to sign off on your project. Only his "Magic Pen" works for this. I have done battle a couple times as there is more than one approved method of work. But have your ducks in a row before questioning inspector. Raleigh used to have an inspector who would go check code book for exceptions before turning something down. New people would say "He was looking for something else to find fault with," when he was doing exact opposite.

Blog Entries
    I clicked on the link and got this:
    The item is not available due to issues with the item's content.
    If you would like to report this problem as an error report, you may do so
    here
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    This thread is over a year old, so it's no surprise the links are faulty
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It was good while it lasted, but I wasn't able to find a free online version today....maybe later.

Mods: might as well delete this thread. I haven't seen or heard of another free link.

Blog Entries
    Here's a draft of the proposed version... not perfect, but a lot closer to nothing:
    http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/abo...3-ropdraft.pdf
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    Also keep in mind that every State adopts different codes and different versions.

For example in Virginia, the VUSBC is the adopted code and the current version is 2012 with adopts the IEC with references the 2011 NEC. So for the next few years, electrical work falls under the 2011 NEC and not the 2014 NEC. So you should check your State website or the locality website to see which is the currently accepted version of the various codes.
    Very true. There are also differences in the way the same code is interpreted by different jurisdiction. This showed up recently on another forum in regard to whether multiple receptacles are permitted on a 30 amp circuit. Michigan says yes but Virginia says no even though they both use the IRC. The correct answer to a code question is always the one you get from your inspector.