Thread: Super Dust Deputy 5" or 4"

Super Dust Deputy 5" or 4"

I have the Delta 50-760 with the Wynn Filter. Looking at getting the super dust deputy, but not sure about size. Should I use the 5” model and use 5” to 4” reducers, or get the 4” model and use 4” pipe no reducers. I know either will work, but is one better than another.
    Thanks

I'm no expert, but I have the once-venerable Delta 50-850 1-1/2 HP collector with a Wynn. I went with the 5" Super Dust Deputy. The connections gave me fits until I realized I could buy an aluminum fitting that "almost" fits, cut relief slots along the opening, and duct tape it to the Dust Deputy. I suppose people know about this, because I never found any instructions or tips about how to solve the problem.

My rationale to go with the 5" is that when I use my jointer and planer I get lots of chips with the dust, and I wanted a little more throughput. Also, the Deputy is at the end of my 4" system, so if I am not mistaken I get a little more velocity through the pipe with the larger inlet. The Delta has a 6" inlet that fits right onto the Deputy's 6" outlet, then the Deputy with 5" airflow inlet (but a 6" dust outlet) that needed the reduction to my 4" pipes. The system works like a charm throughout my 20 x 20 garage overhead.

DD system.jpg

All this stuff is kind of expensive, so I don't think the extra bucks for the larger Deputy amount to a large portion of the project cost, especially when you figure in the Wynn. I also installed a Jet air cleaner.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-01-2021 at 4:42 PM.

One other option to consider: There is a seller on ebay who builds these out of sheet metal. I've had one on a 3HP grizzly motor with a Wynn filter. I bought from them when they were still selling them on Amazon. Working perfectly for over 10 years now. I mention this, as I'm considering adding another one, or the Super Dust Deputy, to my main dust collector to avoid chips blowing through impeller on an older 5hp Murphy Rogers. Just noticed that some folks in reviews on the Oneida found the Dust Deputy to be a bit flimsy and had concerns whether it could support itself, depending on your installation.
    About the same money. No affiliation - I just really like the metal vs. plastic.

Take a good look at the product description, as they directly address the nature of your question on the inlet size:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27265513610...sAAOSwONBZCOkM

jeff

Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it.

5” SDD - because that’s the size of the intake of the Delta impeller housing.

I used a 5" SDD with a JET 1100CK dust collector.

The SDD had a 5" inlet and a 6" outlet.
    The main tool I used this with was an A3-31, which has a 5" dust port.
    The dust collector itself has a 6" inlet, but configured with the stock 2x4" splitter.

I got the SDD because the DC filter was clogging with the lightweight cedar shavings from the J/P.
    The SDD separation worked extremely well for this, even with the restriction to the 4" splitter at the DC.
    If this was my long-term setup, I'd keep 6" to the DC, and have the splitter in front of the SDD.

You do have to watch to not overfill the bin below the SDD -- this happened pretty fast during milling with only a 17gallon barrel.

A couple of notes:

• fittings are annoying -- it always seems like the parts aren't designed to fit together. I've found it helpful to put the flex hoses in hot water to slightly expand them before mounting them.
    • The SDD is resin and didn't seem particularly happy with the heavier 6" hose hanging off the top. For long-term use, I'd recommend providing some support for this hose.
    • Also for long-term use, give some thought to what you're going to do with the SDD top when you remove and empty the barrel. My SDD was screwed directly to the barrel lid, so I lifted both off and set them on the ground when emptying the barrel. This didn't feel ideal. I like the setups people have with the SDD mounted above the barrel, with a short flex hose to the barrel so the barrel can be detached. I think Oneida is missing an opportunity to have something like a mini gorilla (sdd+barrel+stand) that you plumb to your own DC.

If you want to take the most advantage of your dust collector, you are going to want to go eventually to 5" through the cyclone, and ducting to allow for maximum airflow. Then either upsize the tool port to 5", OR reduce as close as possible to the tool.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Thanks for all the insight. Very helpful.

I'm using 5" runs n a three car garage with 1.75hp Powermatic DC with 5" all the way to most machines. Only ones necked down to 4" are 6"x48" belt sander, 12" disc sander and two bandsaws, a 10" and an 18". The 18" already had a 4" dust collector built in. All machines seem to function fine with my system. My long 5" runs are thinwall PVC, smooth inside for less friction, given how long the runs are. I'm using a super dust deputy with 5" inlet and Wynn filter. Been using this DC system I cobbled together for about 7 years now. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)