Thread: Source for mother of pearl

Source for mother of pearl

I am going to be doing a set of boxes in ebony and need to inlay mother of pearl into them. It doesn't need to be real mother of pearl but needs to be thin enough to laser cut. I was thinking maybe pick guards for guitars. Any Ideas of another source for it? Thanks
    TurnKey C900 60 watt, Coreldraw X4, PhotoGrav, Boxit, Wacom intuos5, Full wood working shop, Metal lathe.

Try Luthier supply. Here is a link: http://www.luthiersupply.com/Shell_blank_page.html

you can easily find some inlay materials on ebay.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

I just did a quick google search and found a few suppliers. One of them was on Etsy..
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Thanks, is genuine mother of pearl cuttable with the laser?
    TurnKey C900 60 watt, Coreldraw X4, PhotoGrav, Boxit, Wacom intuos5, Full wood working shop, Metal lathe.

I have used a lot of cuttable pearl shell for inlays. OceanshellNZ (dot com) in New Zealand has quite a variety. Really nice people in all of my dealings.
    Last edited by John Noell; 10-12-2014 at 1:56 PM. Reason: typos
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Blog Entries
    The absolute best, and I have tried many, is from Aqua Blue Maui. http://www.aquabluemaui.com/ It is a thin laminate that is glued up somehow of mother of pearl pressed into sheets. He offers it in different colors. The color is a coating, so you CANNOT sand it if you get the colored stuff. He does have plain shell material. The quality of his stuff is amazing. I use it extensively in my wood surfboards and other projects. It can be laser cut. Below is a video of an inlay that was laser cut, and then I routed the recess for it with a dremel and router base. It is VERY thin, so not much recess is needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxHr32JHz0

Really nice job on the surf board. I will give them a call, looks good. Thanks

Blog Entries
    By the way, I said mother of pearl, but that surfboard is abalone. I misspoke. He does have many to choose from. Thanks for the compliment.

My understanding is that real mother of pearl is quite pricey. Something along the lines of $70-$80 per ounce. I'm in the process of doing some ebony rastered out and inlay with abalone or turquoise looking acrylic. I'm hoping things go well!

Even at that price, the VERY thin sheets of MOP go pretty far.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I'm not sure but doesn't Grizzly have some mother of pearl