Thread: Easiest finish for DIY Homeowner

Easiest finish for DIY Homeowner

I am looking to build some cabinetry fro my house. Entertainment center, mudroom, vanity, etc. . . This will be a long process overtime, but looking for some advice on finishing.

I worked for a custom cabinetmaker for about 4 years during college, so I know how to build and finish from a production perspective, but am struggling a bit figuring out how to do it at home without panel saws, widebelt sander, fully ventilation finish booths etc. . . You get the idea.

I have figured out the construction part but finishing is another story. I always sprayed pre-cat lacquer at the cabinet shot and I loved the finish, but that is just not feasible at home. How are the water-based lacquers? Similar product to pre-cat lacquer, but with easier clean-up?

On the cabinets that I plan on painting, I was thinking of using pre-finished plywood for the cases then just hand brushing/rolling the face frame. If I buy good brushes and use a good trim paint from SW or Porter then can I expect my results to be acceptable?

Thanks for the advice,
    Jake

how about using pre finished plywood for cabinets, then you only have to worry about finishing the face frames (assuming your using them).

you could make a make shift spray booth to spray out side with. for waterborne SW has a few choices that can be used on cabinets.

i personally would not use brush and roller to paint cabinets when i have the ability to spray. you could use a tinted conversion vanish or tinted pre cat lacquer. both are available in solvent and waterborne.

Based on your comments I don't think you will be happy with a brushed or rolled finish. There are several good wipe on varnishes available that could be used for the clear coated projects, but for the painted ones I think you will want to spray them. Actually, I think you will want to spray all your projects. With that in mind, I would look at General Finishes line of water based topcoats and paints. http://generalfinishes.com/professio...shing-products They make a complete line of products, including a water borne conversion varnish and pre cat lacquer, suitable for cabinets and furniture, that are available to the DIY'er through Homestead Finishing and Woodworker's Hardware on-line/phone, perhaps others. Their Enduro White Poly can be tinted to any color desired.

I use a temporary spray booth (plastic hung from the joists) in my basement shop with an exhaust fan that expels over spray out a window. I use cheap HVLP conversion spray guns running off a 60 gal compressor and get very good results. You don't have to spend a lot to get really good results. If you stick with water borne products, safety is not a major issue, although you should still make sure to exhaust the over spray and wear a respirator with organics cartridges.

John

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I haven't tried one of these myself, but if you have access to an air compressor, lots of folks on several forums are singing praises for a cheap little HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Readily available, and under $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    I haven't tried one of these myself, but if you have access to an air compressor, lots of folks on several forums are singing praises for a cheap little HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Readily available, and under $20.

I have plenty compressor for the job. I may try one of these spray gun, will they spray paint or clear as long as it is thinned properly?

I regularly use a HF gun with a 1.4 mm orifice, which is about $10 on sale, and it sprays a beautiful finish when you get the viscosity down to 25 - 30 seconds through a #4 Ford cup. Most of the GF water borne products have viscosities in the 45 - 65 range so some thinning is required for that gun. So I more often use a 1.8 mm orifice gun, not a HF one but still less than $50, and no thinning is required for most of the GF products. For hobby use I see no need to spend a lot of money on spray equipment. The internals of the HF or my other gun are not stainless steel, but I've seen no corrosion in 4 years from the WB products I spray (many gallons). Even if I did, for $10 you can get a new one whenever needed.

John