I am looking to build some cabinetry fro my house. Entertainment center, mudroom, vanity, etc. . . This will be a long process overtime, but looking for some advice on finishing.

I worked for a custom cabinetmaker for about 4 years during college, so I know how to build and finish from a production perspective, but am struggling a bit figuring out how to do it at home without panel saws, widebelt sander, fully ventilation finish booths etc. . . You get the idea.

I have figured out the construction part but finishing is another story. I always sprayed pre-cat lacquer at the cabinet shot and I loved the finish, but that is just not feasible at home. How are the water-based lacquers? Similar product to pre-cat lacquer, but with easier clean-up?

On the cabinets that I plan on painting, I was thinking of using pre-finished plywood for the cases then just hand brushing/rolling the face frame. If I buy good brushes and use a good trim paint from SW or Porter then can I expect my results to be acceptable?

Thanks for the advice,
Jake