Thread: Customizing a mechanical pencil

Lightbulb Customizing a mechanical pencil

I'm looking to get some custom pencils to promote my business.

The problem is that none of the suppliers online seem to carry my favorite type of mechanical pencil: the PaperMate ClearPoint Elite. I can kind of see why this might be a problem for them: the barrel is clear and varies in diameter in the printable area. You can see what it looks like here: http://imgur.com/DKHCGez .

Do you think that these pencils can be customized with a logo? If so, what's the best way to do it: decals, dye sublimation, something else?

Decals rub off easily with use on a pen. Screenprinting will work but with the tapered barrel there will be some additional setup cost. I would suggest looking for a local screenprinter where you can take a sample for a quote. The online people want to sell you their pens because they are already set up for it and will still charge you a setup fee. With the clear barrel I have also seen people insert a "fortune-cookie-sized" paper rolled up to fit. Looks kind of cheap, though.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sublimation is out due to the 400 degrees...

UV LED flatbed might be the best option with a white under coat IF you could tilt the pen so it would work.... Mr. Direct Color Mike Null may chime in soon...

http://www.directcolorsystems.com/dcs-products.php

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 10-08-2014 at 8:21 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Al

I'm afraid I don't have Direct Color--though I'd like to. I'd recommend going to a promotional products company to get them made for you. More than likely they'll pad print them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for the hints, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Al

I'm afraid I don't have Direct Color--though I'd like to. I'd recommend going to a promotional products company to get them made for you. More than likely they'll pad print them.
    Sorry Mike... CRS.... and due to the slope of the pen your right, pad printing would be best.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".