I take pride in my lawn. I live on a hill that is steep enough to have me wearing spiked shoes in order to maintain good footing. I use a Scott's drop spreader for almost if not exclusively spreading seed. Thus is doesn't get a lot of use and has lasted for a long time. I've used Scott's broadcast spreaders for everything else and they just don't hold up. The axle rusts through, the wire used to pull up the opening for whatever is in the tank, after one season or so can't be/or is very difficult to adjust so it can be calibrated. I've resorted to crimping the wire to get the lines lined up. Plus, the wheels are so flimsy they bounce over the slightest irregularity dumping extra material, or when you make a sudden turn or movement the same thing happens. I call those my Scott burns. A Scott's bag that lists for 5,000 Sq ft at a certain rate may or may not take the listed number of passes to use up the amount in the bag. Look at the ratings given by the users on Amazon.com...fair to poor.

However, if you look at upscale broadcast spreaders, they have better wheels, push easier, spread whatever is in the tank more evenly. But try to find a bag of something with that brand's setting listed. Lots of Luck. Ask the manufacturer and they will give you a conversion chart. Look at reviewers comments about those. Hah, not very accurate at all, if at all and you need to know your math. Thus if you go the upscale route be prepared for: 1) 3X the cost, 2) 3x or more to take the time to figure out what the setting you need on your spreader for whatever you buy. After that you may be good for years to come, but you have had to invest money and a good deal of time. Buy a new bag of something...more time.

For me at my age, I've come to the conclusion I'll just get the best Scott's broadcast spreader and figure I'll have to live with it, and replace it with some regularity. If I were 20 years younger or had more acerage, I'd invest in one of the upscale spreaders.

Just had to rant after looking at the new flimsy models at HD costing around $60 -$80, knowing something is going to break or go out of adjustment in short order.