Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser for Marquetry?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Well, the easiest way is to cheat: use the laser to cut one or more "background" pieces of veneer and then glue the whole thing to a suitable substrate.
    I don't have a vacuum table. Sometimes I wish I did but I get around it using lead weights.

I melted scrap lead using a propane torch in a cast iron ladle. I then pour the lead into the bottom of soda cans turned upside down. The cans all have a neat domed recess in the bottom that makes a perfect mold. The lead pops out easily after it cools. I pour it in the bottom of the can up to about a 1/4" deep in the center. This makes a nice round disk thats domed and easily fits under the laser air assist tube so there is no risk in the laser head hitting the lead weights. I made about two dozen of these weights in an hour so the process is pretty fast and simple. All you need for tools is a cast iron ladle (garage sales or camping store), propane torch, leather gloves and some empty soda cans.

I use them all over the material I am cutting. It spreads out the weight evenly and they can be positioned around whats being cut fairly simply. Best of all, they were free (just asked my auto guy for some old wheel weights).
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post
    I don't have a vacuum table. Sometimes I wish I did but I get around it using lead weights.
    I use them all over the material I am cutting. It spreads out the weight evenly and they can be positioned around whats being cut fairly simply. Best of all, they were free (just asked my auto guy for some old wheel weights).
    At some point I scored a box of twenty or so stone tile samples, 3"x3"x3/8", no idea where they came from.
    They're heavy enough to hold down anything I'm comfortable calling "veneer".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Silva View Post
    Ditto on that. Laser cutting it will be a breeze. Just take the beam thickness into account. i usually use 0.004" as the kerf to get inlays to fit tight.
    Nicolas,

I've not yet tried inlay, but this has been a question of mine. How do you compensate for the beam size?

Thanks, Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

First try cutting from the back. If that isn't enough enlarge the drawing very slightly.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Mike....I am designing a set of Beam calipers for measuring the outside diameter of a laser beam. Think the Creek would like to carry it as a fund raiser? I am also designing steam buckets for cleaning, and smoke shifters for bbq's.

Dave
    (can you tell its been a long week already?)
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I'll take 3!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Nielsen View Post
    Nicolas,

I've not yet tried inlay, but this has been a question of mine. How do you compensate for the beam size?

Thanks, Roy
    By trial and error. I did a series of tests and found that I could make the inserted pieces mate perfectly by using a standard "contour" in Corel. The contour tool makes it easy to add just the right amount for the kerf of the beam. The value depends on the type of wood and depth of the inlay.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    By trial and error. I did a series of tests and found that I could make the inserted pieces mate perfectly by using a standard "contour" in Corel. The contour tool makes it easy to add just the right amount for the kerf of the beam. The value depends on the type of wood and depth of the inlay.
    Thanks, John. I may play with this a bit this weekend.

Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Thanks for all of the info! My wife is in purchasing and does RFPs and could probably get me a really good price but then she'd also know how much I spent on a laser...

Now I have to sit back, wait for the bones to heal and the legal process to do whatever it does but in the mean time, I have plenty to research and figure out.

So I can send files directly as an AutoCAD 2000 .dfx? That would be awesome, as I'm on 2010 but saving as a 2000 dfx is still a save option.

EPILOG's website has a section called "Sample Club". If you look under the wood tab and go down a bit you'll see a tutorial on a simple marquetry like project. This may give you some ideas of the basic steps to use with a laser engraver. I used this when I first had questions and then as other's said, trial and error will eventually give you a great starting spot. Good luck.

Scott
    Scott Woodson
    EPILOG 45 Watt Mini
    CorelSuite X5, Photograv 3.0, BoxIT Suite
    WoodWrite mini lathe, Shopsmith Mark V (1980), Hegner 18" scrollsaw
    Ricoh GXe 7700N sublimation printer
    DC16 Digital Combo Heat Press
    CAMEO Silhouette 12" vinyl cutter

11. As always, you only get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Stephan;
    Also use mirror technique to inlay very minute pieces with great reaults.
    Hi George,

Can you further explain the mirror technique you mentioned for dealing with very tiny pieces?

Thanks
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

I think George means the technique where you engrave out where the inlay goes, then, for the inlay, you make a mirror image of the inlay and engrave away all but the inlay. Press the two pieces face-to-face together (with glue), sand away the backside (base) of the inlay, and there you have your perfect inlay.
    Last edited by John Noell; 11-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

"because my hand will ache for hours afterwards"

I recommend you ditch the mouse band get a Wacom, I get almost zero carpel tunnel with the pen tablet. I keep the pen in my hand while I type. Also My keyboard is at 45 to 90 degrees for non typing apps.
    My stand is a flexible monitor stand with the wacom and a logitec unifying $20 keyboard velcroed onto the stand. I can sit or stand..

cheers M
    Last edited by Martin James; 11-05-2014 at 1:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

Lots of threads I could bump for this question, but I'll use this one since it's the most recent.

Do you guys recommend something like Vectric 2D for auto-inlay tool paths? I found the price point for it fairly reasonable, and I'm not making terribly complex shapes (mostly polygones). For how much I'll use the software I'd like to stay away from the $1000+ things out there.