Thread: Stamps for Cookies, Cakes, and Fondant

Stamps for Cookies, Cakes, and Fondant

Hi. Newbie here to the forum. I want to make cookie stamps. Has anyone done this before? Any tips? I plan to use 1/2 inch thick acrylic. I was also exploring food safe rubber as well, but after hearing about the smell of rubber, I think I am going to stick with acrylic. Should I use cast or extruded acrylic?

The stamps will be about 2 1/2" diameter. The designs are mainly type with a simple graphic.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Corian maybe a better solution for this.

You may want to cut the pattern from thinner acrylic and glue it to a thicker base.
    Use the waste material to position the cuts on the base.
    Make sure you let it sit for a while before using it as Methylene Chloride is not nice stuff to add to cookies.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

I have used this to make molds from acrylic, mostly for chocolate, It's about $20 at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Bothe stores have an area for "Food Stuffs"

Ive never tried it for stamps, but you may check out the "Stamp Setting" if you laser has it to give it a slight bevel to make the release easier.

http://amazingmoldputty.com/ProdDeta...20Mold%20Putty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I have used acrylic and it works just fine. You will probably want to reverse the image. I prefer cast to extruded.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Delrin is food safe as well.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Thanks for all of the advice!

I was planning on using the thicker acrylic because I want to have the words and images raised for imprinting on the cookie surface. Since this is a food product, how do you suggest to remove the residue particles? Would I have the same problem with the Corian or Delrin as suggested? I will be selling the finished product to consumers.

Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience.

Martin,
    Can you explain a little more about the mold making material you are referring to? Is it like a plastic? Are you suggesting that I make my own material to cut from? Can it be made and rolled out like a pie crust, dried and then cut? I want to have raised letters to the consumer presses the stamp into the cookie dough or fondant. Does this make sense! Thanks for the idea.

Be careful with delrin.......burning it creates
    Formaldehyde. And I think there is also an issue with Carbon Black.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw