Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Chatter? Don't you know this is the special anti chatter breaker? And it protects the underside of the edge, so you almost never need to sharpen anymore!

Blog Entries
    I think this thread has plenty of chatter.

Blog Entries
    Ohh sorry Kees, I didn't realize! I suppose the bottom breaker does prevent the wear bevel from getting more than a few microns wide. Too bad because all the effort they put into the pmv11 turned redundant ((-:

Blog Entries
    LV has been harvesting DNA from all the top woodworkers in the world. We can now send them a simple swab from the cheek and they will return us a Mini-Me infused with the DNA of our favorite woodworkers. Our own Mini-ME woodworker! I understand they all get a little Rob Lee though, so watch your wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Nah - we already made our own, almost 5 years ago now.... just decided not to go ahead with it....

Hey! Since you're not going ahead with this...can I have it???
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Whatever it is, I'll be in the classified section waiting to buy whatever you guys might have to sell to get it...
    OK...belly laugh...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I'm guessing it's the new Saw Stop tablesaws I saw in the Halifax store earlier this week.

I think it's a sensing brake for their Veritas line of saws.
    I'll be so disappointed if it's just a Sawstop announcement. That seems so NOT like LV to hype that (as if I know them).

Never mind the 13th. I hope we get through the 11th. o.k.!

Quote Originally Posted by John Glover View Post
    I'm guessing it's the new Saw Stop tablesaws I saw in the Halifax store earlier this week.
    C'mon guys... It's a Veritas announcement! Not that Sawstop's not a good product...

Cheers,

Rob
    (Who might miss WIA if the line at Thrifty Raleigh-Durham doesn't move any faster.... )

Rob, Use the Veritas teleporter!!

(I knew you wouldn't hold us off only to give us a sawstop announcement)

I'm guessing an introductory price of $289.97 , not counting accessories
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

When I got a new apprentice for the toolmaker's shop,and wanted to increase safety(and had the money),I bought a Saw Stop for the toolmaker's shop.

It was rather a huge pain to use it. Maybe I'd have gotten used to it over time. If all wasn't exactly to the computer's liking,it would not start.

The brakes were about $80.00 each. They WILL go off if you saw stuff that contains a little metal,like plexiglass mirror stock. I had an archiectural(sp?) model maker friend who kept having this problem. Wasted a lot of money once his machine got "contaminated".

You can ONLY use the Saw Stop dado out fit with it. You have to buy a separate brake to use with the dado,too,due to it being a different dia. from the normal blade(and a different width).

The saw is very sensitive to saw blades of SLIGHTLY different diameters,like 10" saw blades that are 1/16" shy of 10". You have to adjust the brake for every blasted blade if yours are a little individual.

The arbor was a bit too short to suit me(not that you could use anything other than the Saw Stop dado,anyway.

The arbor had V threads instead of Acme,which I did not really care for. It was cheap looking. The rest of the saw looked very nice. Great grind on the tables. A lot nicer than the old,swirly Blanchard ground saws. And flatter,too.

IIRC,I had a bit of trouble putting the 6" dust collector hose on it. No luck: it will only take 4". And,the interior of the saw has this tightly cowled plastic dust chute-good luck if you have thin sticks go down the throat plate.

THROAT PLATE!!! That saw has the most complicated throat plates I have ever seen,and they are rather expensive. I managed to make one when I needed a different one(a zero clearance one). But,you have to be a machinist to make it. I have made several plywood ones for my Clausing over the years,no problem.

Forget about using ANY special purpose blades,like guitar fret cutting blades that are 6" in diameter. I don't think they'd work if they were 10" in diameter. The magnetic sensors would not allow the saw to work since the are not magnetic enough,with a .020" width. Now, THAT alone was enough to sour me. Woodcraft used to sell those as veneer cutting saws.

I'll just keep on being careful with my fingers,thank you. I DID cut my fingers back in 1963 on an old,small tilting table saw,when the table tilted,causing a kick back. I haven't cut myself since. Fortunately,no permanent damage or mutilation occurred. But,it was 2 years before I could comfortably dial a phone(rotary dial days). I maintain respect for the table saw,and always use proper push sticks-and don't try just plain dangerous stuff.

I said it earlier. I'll say it again. Sawstop.
    Paul

Oh please, All, let's not turn this thread into a Sawstop one....