Thread: Platform?

Platform?

I'll spare everyone the long story, but I just bought my first lathe, and ideally, I'd like to use it on top of a nice work bench I have that is long enough to accommodate both the lathe, and my grinder, side by side, with ample room between them. The problem is, that with the lathe on top of the bench, the height of the spindle hits me about chest high, maybe a bit lower, instead of elbow/elbow +2 as is the conventional wisdom. The bench top is about 36" high (and can't be shortened), and the spindle height ends up being about 52" from the ground...and I'm only 5'7"

So I'm considering building a platform that I can stand on when turning. I think I recall finding some threads in which one or more or you talk about having a similar set up. Could I ask any of you who use a platform to share some pictures of your design? I know this is an extremely simple item, and I already have something in mind, but I thought I might take a look at how others have approached this solution.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Glenn Howard; 09-08-2014 at 9:52 PM.

Not quite the same as your issue but I have a short box made out of plywood for my grandsons to stand on while learning the lathe. One thing I would caution you about is to make it big enough. As you learn more you will move around more. Stepping off the edge of your platform with a sharp tool in your hand could ruin your whole day.

Get a couple of shipping pallets and cover with MDF or plywood.

I don't have a platform, but I've been thinking of making one too. I just feel like even 2 or 3 inches would make a difference and help me avoid arm fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Paxman View Post
    I don't have a platform, but I've been thinking of making one too. I just feel like even 2 or 3 inches would make a difference and help me avoid arm fatigue.
    A local building supply surpluse store sells some surplus stair treads (11 1/2" x 60") for around $14 each. I was thinking of taking three of them, joining them together to make a 34 1/2" x 60" platform surface, and cut 1" x 8" boards as risers/runners. I'm thinking the stair treads would be stronger than MDF or plywood at a fairly comparable cost. This would give me another 8" in height with a large enough surface to be safe from walking off the edge. But I'd still be interested to see any solutions that others have come up with. The pallet suggestion is not a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Howard View Post
    A local building supply surpluse store sells some surplus stair treads (11 1/2" x 60") for around $14 each. I was thinking of taking three of them, joining them together to make a 34 1/2" x 60" platform surface, and cut 1" x 8" boards as risers/runners. I'm thinking the stair treads would be stronger than MDF or plywood at a fairly comparable cost. This would give me another 8" in height with a large enough surface to be safe from walking off the edge. But I'd still be interested to see any solutions that others have come up with. The pallet suggestion is not a bad one.
    Sounds like a good idea... Don't waste the space underneath the platform. Put drawers or the plastic storage boxes with wheels underneath.

Garage door rollers work well if you make your own drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Stepping off the edge of your platform with a sharp tool in your hand could ruin your whole day.
    Welcome!

Other than the obvious falling/tripping safety issue. Just curious why you would want to use a workbench, and not build/buy a stand. You can build it to what you want, have drawers/storage etc. Lots of benefits in making a stand. Plus you won't permanently use up your workbench space.
    You could also build/buy a stand with wheels. Lots of options.

I agree with Kyle. I have a workbench behind me when I turn and it is very handy - almost too handy Covered in curlies most of the time it gets hard to find that tool I laid down a few minutes ago!. But I CAN use it as a workbench when needed.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Welcome!

Other than the obvious falling/tripping safety issue. Just curious why you would want to use a workbench, and not build/buy a stand. You can build it to what you want, have drawers/storage etc. Lots of benefits in making a stand. Plus you won't permanently use up your workbench space.
    You could also build/buy a stand with wheels. Lots of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I agree with Kyle. I have a workbench behind me when I turn and it is very handy - almost too handy Covered in curlies most of the time it gets hard to find that tool I laid down a few minutes ago!. But I CAN use it as a workbench when needed.

Well it's mainly a matter of trying to maximize a small workspace. The workbench I want to use, would double as tool storage underneath. It's not my primary workbench, it's a second workbench. I really don't have the room for a dedicated lathe stand that would take up another good sized footprint in my garage for a single purpose. I do however, already have this second workbench with nothing on top of it except plenty of empty real estate for my lathe and my grinder, and a roomy bottom shelf for my miter saw and planer. If I were to get rid of this workbench, and replace it with a lathe stand, then I have no home for what I have stored on the bottom shelf. No, it's not ideal, but with a small space, everything has to do double duty.

A platform situated next to this workbench would give me the necessary added height to access the lathe more comfortably, and could be stood up and leaned against the bench if I needed that floor space for other activities. And I still have my other, main workbench for its intended purpose.

Glenn Howard, I don't know where in the "Midwest" you happen to be, but if you get to Inver Grove Heights MN (southeast of St Paul) I have a pile of those stair treads you mentioned and the price is better, free. PM me if interested.

11. Made a stand for a friend. It is 4' X 4'. It is 4" + high. I used 2 x4's for the frame covered with 1/2" plywood and then covered with some bamboo flooring he had laying around. Brought him up to the perfect height. We put two handles on the side so he could tip it against the workbench with the lathe on it when he was not using the lathe. He still has to be careful not to fall off but has not so far. We sanded the flooring with 80 grit sandpaper to take the slickness off. It really works well for him. By the way we made a smaller one first and he kept stepping off of it. His lathe is midi delta lathe.