Okay--the background...i've been using a 1980 Central Machine DP, 13" bench top. Picked it up cheap, reasonable run out, etc. Found that i used it much more than expected, but often needed just a little more capacity, better depth stops (or a depth stop period!!), etc. Set aside a budget of $500 and have kept an open eye for the last 6 months. Had a preference for the Delta 18-900L, but at 2x my budget--and not seeing any for sale within several hours drive, it wasn't meant to be.

With the Jet 10% off, was on the edge of buying a JDP-17DX, when a Delta 17-965 popped up locally. Excellent condition (a little dust, no dings), measured the run out at .002 (crudely--but 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" bits generated the same sized hole measured with my calipers). With the quill fully extended, it didn't move by hand either. For the drill press, HTC heavy duty roller base and Rockler DP table (all 2005 vintage), i bought it at $200 under budget. World of difference, and i didn't have to clean off cosmoline or deal with shipping back for unused parts. Probably could have done $50 better at some point over the next 6 months--but i was tired of the hunt!!

So--the one feature i really would have liked and didn't get is the forward tilting table. In looking around, i could source the table support and trunions from the 17-950/17-959 model for right at $100. For another $100, i could buy a table from a 17-950, or i could tap the trunions into the Rockler table (or a shop built base). Seems like the table bracket SHOULD have the same diameter and fit the column mounted table bracket--especially since all 3 machines were made at the same time and it would make since to use a common mount on the column. Is it worth the $100 to $200 (if i opt for a cast iron table) to add the forward tilt??

Just picking the collective brains of the group!! Thanks!!

earl