Thread: Is this surface rust? How do I clean / prevent recurrence?

Is this surface rust? How do I clean / prevent recurrence?

Looking for tips on cleaning the (rust?) off the main rails of my ShopSmith - here's what I'm up against

Hi-grit sandpaper? CLR? Both?

And is there a good lube or something I can put on afterwards to minimize a recurrence? I have lithium grease on hand (used for my CNC and Laser threaded servo rods)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

A green scotch brite pad with some mineral spirits will work. So will a wire wheel on a drill. After it is clean coate it with some Johnsons paste wax or somenting like T9.

Thanks Cary -

How about the potato method : youtube video qYgnHDB3VNI
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Two weeks and a smelly mess to boot. No thanks. I could have had the tube cleaned buy the time the video was over. If I wanted to make a mess, I would set up an electrolysis bath. At least that is fun to watch.

Make a paste of Bar Keepers Friend. Then use mineral oil to protect it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've used paste wax and Boeshield to protect my cast iron tops. And then I will notice some rust on one of my tops. So, one day I cleaned up all the tops in my shop and gave them a thin coat of urethane. Not one speck of rust since. Did the new Hammer top before it could become rusty. No need for a second coat as it does not soak in, but does protect the top very well with just a very thin coat.

I would attack the surface rust first, using one of the spray cans you can get at any hardware store. The one I have is Rust Buster or something like that. I think most of them are phosphoric acid based. You spray them on, wait a bit, wipe them off. Or, use WD-40 and a scotch pad - that works well too.

Once the surface rust is gone you'll need to address any pitting that might have raised high spots. An abrasive roll or a flexible disc sander can take them down.

Once it's clean, oil and / or wax.