Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 6" joiner adjustment????

Jet 6" joiner adjustment????

I have a Jet 6" joiner and it looks like the outfeed table is not flat and tipped up a little on the one end. I called Jet and they told me to loosen the two set screws on the back and adjust it. I did losen the screws but can't really get it to adjust where I want. There are also two thumb screws there I have no idear whta they do but when moved don't seem to do to much.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out and am totally frustrated. My joiner has also been out of commision all week. Anyone know how to adjust these. Or is there a better joiner out there I am seroiusly thinking of dumping this for something servicable, I don't need this frustration with this hobbie.
    -=Jason=-

Look in your owners manual and find the section that deals with Adjustments. Find the Gib Adjustment portion, page 15 in my manual. Those two thumb screws you mentioned I believe are the gib lock wing screws.

No manual, it didn't come with one. Probably should of thought but I bought it new off the floor, and it wasn't tere and I figured how hard is this thing to figure out. I just looked at jet's site and it doesn't look like you can down load it eithor. Stupid jet, get with the times! Stupid me, should of called jet and got a manual.
    -=Jason=-

Jason,

If you look up your jet jointer on Amazon you will find a link to the manual.

~mark

Thanks Mark that useful, unfortinally not helpful they simply tell you to loosen the screws and adjust! How the heck do you adjust it there is not a clear explanation.

Second Jet tool in a week with issues the last one I brough right back to the dealer didn't even use it. No more cheap Jet tools for me. I can't seem to wood work I have spent all my time just trying to keep the tools up.
    -=Jason=-

[quote=jason lambert;844049]I have a Jet 6" joiner and it looks like the outfeed table is not flat and tipped up a little on the one end.
    what method did you use to check the tables?

Cutting wood realised after it was out and runied some, plained the begining but not the ends, then checked with a 4' stright edge agenst all the tables.

I did have then in line tighened everything back up and they are out again. Still have no idear how you are suppose to adjust this thing.
    -=Jason=-

Is it possible the infeed table is the one that needs adjustment? Or perhaps both?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

After spending another 4 hours trying to adjust it last night I think I am going to through it out, not worth the time. The infeed table does not adjust, I got it close but but the time I reassemble thing and tighen all the screws it is out again. I am not a pro here at adjusting this stuff but they have to make this stuff better. Because of this machine it runed a project and I am not going into my shop for a week because I will just start kicking it if I do. I give up.
    -=Jason=-

Jason,

First of all, if the outfeed table is not "flat", that is a manufacturing problem, and no amount of adjustment will fix it. If the outfeed table is truly not flat then you either need to replace it or have it lapped flat by a machine shop. I would carefully check the table for flatness with a good quality straight edge and feeler gauge before taking either course of action.

Second, when you say that you "tighten all the screws" I assume that you are tightening the gib setscrews. These tables ride on dovetail ways and the gib screws are designed to remove any slop from the dovetail mechanism when adjusted properly. From my experience, if the gibs are properly adjusted and your outfeed table is still out of plane with the infeed table, then you need to shim the outfeed table with shim stock to get it back in plane.

I would recommend the book Care and Repair of Shop Machines by John White for a detailed description of how to properly align your jointer tables. Just my 2 cents.

Clay

Your Jet is probably a very similar design to Delta, Griz, Powermatic.....

I wouldn't blame them for your lack of knowledge and patience. The book suggested above is a good idea because if you want to do woodworking you have to be able to adjust your tools. The jointer is one of the least intuitive machines I own and has a steeper learning curve to adjust.

To finally get it working properly will be a gratifing experiance but to do that you need to learn a bit more. There are others here and on a similar forum who can guide you through specific questions if you post them but if you just want to rant go ahead, we all feel your pain.

Ok so other than the gib screws which only tighen the table on the dove tailes there is really no adjustnment other than pulling the thing apart and shimming?

This is not what Jet and prevoius posts told me they seemed to imply there was some adjustmet there. That could be why I am confused. Although now I am confused because shimming is not in my mind a accurate or good way to adjust something that may go out.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 05-05-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    -=Jason=-

Jason - if the outfeed table is tipped up then you would need to shim it at the top edge of the table where the table and dovetail ways connect. If it were saggin you would shim it at the bottom. There are several books on adjusting WW machines that can be very helpful. It's not that hard to adjust but does take patience.

You should also check that the outfeed table is perfectly in line with the highest point of the blades. If it is too low or too high you will get less than perfect results when you joint an edge.

Also check to make sure the table is not bowed. If so, I'd call Jet to see if they would replace it.

The manual will be available on the Jet website...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    Thanks Mark that useful, unfortinally not helpful they simply tell you to loosen the screws and adjust! How the heck do you adjust it there is not a clear explanation.

Second Jet tool in a week with issues the last one I brough right back to the dealer didn't even use it. No more cheap Jet tools for me. I can't seem to wood work I have spent all my time just trying to keep the tools up.

__________________________________________________ ___________

After spending another 4 hours trying to adjust it last night I think I am going to through it out, not worth the time. The infeed table does not adjust, I got it close but but the time I reassemble thing and tighen all the screws it is out again. I am not a pro here at adjusting this stuff but they have to make this stuff better. Because of this machine it runed a project and I am not going into my shop for a week because I will just start kicking it if I do. I give up.
    I totally understand that adjusting woodworking machinery is not fun, and is not what I want to do when I would rather be woodworking. However, it sounds like yo may be getting a little impatient and unduly blaming the manufacturer in this case, claiming the machine is "junk", when it is simply out of alignment.

After shipping, a lot of machines need to be aligned, and the jointer is no different. That is not a reflection on the manufacturer, but on the shipping process. I have the same jointer you do, and spent some time checking to make sure it was aligned when I bought it. In addition to the owner's manual, take a look at this web site that talks about tuning up your jointer http://home.twcny.rr.com/deltoro/jointer.html .

The posts above have given you some good insight, and I would not hesitate to pick up a few books on setting up and maintaining your equipment. In my opinion, tuning up the tools to be in optimum working condition is at least half of the battle to being a proficient woodworker.
    Last edited by Homer Faucett; 05-05-2008 at 5:44 PM.