Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinder Mishap, Need a new wheel

Marty,
    Went back back to your original post on this thread before the conversation turned toward the benefits of the CBN wheel as versus an AO or other stone wheel. There is no argument about the benefits of a CBN wheel but alone they will not prevent "mishaps" as proven by Russ. So may I ask how your tool and jig "slammed" into the wheel. Were you grinding too close to vertical center or did the jig come loose and allow the tool to go below center. Did you get the tool between the inside of the wheel and the grinder? Please be a bit more specific.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    So may I ask how your tool and jig "slammed" into the wheel.
    The tip of the gouge slipped off the left side of the wheel and the whole gouge/jig assembly slipped out of my hands and into the wheel, catching right in the "V" between the gouge and jig. I think I may have been in the wrong position with my body and the end of the (very long) tool handle bumped into me and started the whole incident. Not doing anything I haven't done a hundred times before, just wasn't paying attention and got bit...

Thanks for the explanation, Marty. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    faust

I have cbn wheels from woodturnerswonders.com they are supper good and so are prices

I ordered a 180 grit wheel from D-Way on Friday and received it on Tuesday (incredible service!).

But now I realize that I ordered the "regular" CBN wheel with square edges and not the one with the radius edge. I gather that the radius edge wheel works better for sharpening round-nose scrapers. Is it worth the trouble to try to return this wheel and get the radius edge instead? I do have a few scrapers that I'll need to sharpen, but I've always managed to get them sharp in the past without needing a radius edge on my old AO wheels.

Just remember that the CBN wheel can't be used for softer metals.

Blog Entries
    Now may be the time to measure the runout of the grinder's shaft to ensure that nothing was bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Now may be the time to measure the runout of the grinder's shaft to ensure that nothing was bent.
    I did, looks good, maybe .001 or so runout.

Well, I was out camping when this came up. For sure, CBN wheels are better. One reason I prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels is that I have never slipped off the edge of them like I did with the 1 inch wide wheels. Most of the time, that slip just resulted in a big divot in the wing of a gouge. Yes, I went off the side when I used jigs, and when I converted to platform sharpening. No more. I have a set of the radius edged wheels, but haven't tried them out yet. Main reason is that I don't really need them. The advantage is mostly with the hollowing tips, which are usually in jigs, and it is easier to go around the radius edge than to rotate with the square edge. Dave (D Way) does have a video clip of it up on his web site, or on You Tube.

robo hippy

true story......I was collecting raffle prizes for the Virginia Woodturning Symposium....sent email to Norton....which forwarded the request to Saint Golden Abrasives......they are donating 2 six inch wheels 80 grit for our woodturning symposium.......we appreciated all gifts