Thread: computer/stereo in a workshop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Glenn,
    Wouldn't heat be an issue? I have always thought that if something is powered by electricity, there is going to be heat generated. There needs to be airflow to dissipate that heat. The plastic bag will not allow any airflow. Seems like a big problem to me. After all the whole problem with dust is that acts as an insulator as it builds up on the electronic parts and doesn't allow heat to escape. The plastic bag is doing the same thing. Of course for 25 bucks, you can afford to replace the unit quite often. But then why bother with the plastic bag?
    I was a little concerned about that as well, but as Jamie explained so well, for this particular device, it really does not generate much in the way of heat. And the plastic bag is very thin, and the speaker device fits very loosely inside the bag. The only contact with the bag really is the bottom. I've had it running for several hours at a time on multiple occassions and found no heat generation to speak of.

But your concern is a valid one. If you try this with a different device and/or a thicker, more tightly fitting bag, you would need to monitor it to be sure your experience is not different.

Sawdust entering a devise not only blocks heat from escaping, but it can build up on components and cause them to fail for reasons beyond just heat. Granted this is a cheap item, so why bother with the plastic bag. The device has that rubberized surface that would be a magnet for dust and would be extremely difficult to wipe off. The bag keeps it clean and dust free, which I have to believe will extend its life compared to leaving it exposed to dust.
    Last edited by Glenn Howard; 09-02-2014 at 11:44 AM.