Thread: PROTOOL Portable Band Saw SBP 285/400 V .. experience?

PROTOOL Portable Band Saw SBP 285/400 V .. experience?

Hello

Has anyone here came across this little monster and what experience did you have with hardwoods?

This machine is way to expensive to buy on Amazon (not sure if we can still get it elswhere as Festool discontinued it from stock). http://www.amazon.co.uk/PROTOOL-Port.../dp/B004MNH0IQ

Is there an equivalent in terms of power? Been looking on the net and somehow only very small (less power full) machines are available. It will be used to create curves to a 65-70mm thick acacia hardwood. We tried Festool Jig saw and the machine died after 1.5m cut.

Or do I have to modify a small band-saw and put in stronger motor to munch through this hardwood.
    Also what blades (TPI) (Brnads) and speed would you guys recommend for cutting thick dry hardwood stock on bandsaws (portable or table)

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by Martin Haba; 08-26-2014 at 7:23 AM. Reason: adding accessories use and modifications

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Here's a vendor in the US which sells three different portable bandsaws. http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/kind/bandsaws.html One of them, the Oliver, is significantly less expensive than the one you've linked. I haven't used any of them.

The Protool and Mafell may be the same saw or very similar. The Protool one is probably made in Czech Republic and the Mafell may be made in Germany or Austria. You might find it marketed in Eastern Europe under the name Narex or sold by Narex dealers.

If a Festool Trion 300 did the job you wanted but failed early, use a Bosch 1590 and it will be much better. I have both. The replacement for the 1590 is the JS572, which seems to be OK. Mafell P1cc is used regularly by a friend to do what your doing in 4" white oak. The are a lot more money. The Mafell uses either the Bosch/Festool/etc sword style blades OR the Mafell Cuprix blades which are triangular in cross section. This makes them very rigid and capable of doing small radius turns in thick stock. It also make the blades expensive.

We have the Oliver, the guys hate it. They tested the Protool and Mafell. Mafell hands down. It's worth the extra money. They tried to reinvent their own portable bandsaw years ago and it would have been cheaper to buy the Mafell. We also have the smaller Dario bandsaw and they hate it as well.

I love this site.

Thank you for the links and info plus your experience!! Top responds! Really appreciate it!!

Haven't seen or used any of them. It looks different compared to usual porta bandsaw.