Thread: Rockwell 46-499 Lathe Help

Rockwell 46-499 Lathe Help

Hello,
    I picked up a Rockwell 46-499 lathe at an auction a few days ago. Mostly, it's in good shape, but it's missing the front door and the hand-wheel for the head stock. I imagine that I can make a door fairly easily, but was wondering if anyone would know where to pick up a hand wheel. I could make one in my metal shop if I needed to, but it looks like the originals have an indexing label on it. Was this a part generally identical to other models in this series?

The variable speed seems to be fairly tight but I haven't fired the motor up yet. Might need some help down the road for that part also.

Thanks for any help,
    Jackrockwell01.jpg
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio

If you find the hand wheel good chance the index indents will be damaged. Many schools had these lathe and students would ingage the pin while it was running. The lathe is a battleship. Reeves drive is bullet proof.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Blog Entries
    All of the lathes handwheels should be the same. There are a number of different model #s out there, various motors and minor setup changes. I'd take a look at your two belts and probably replace. Also, the two bearings in headstock are pretty easy to change out if you have noise there. As Bob mentioned, indents may be damaged, but many would be useable. eBay, and the guys at OWWM.org site can give you more help if you need it. (may be source for parts)

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    All of the lathes handwheels should be the same. There are a number of different model #s out there, various motors and minor setup changes. I'd take a look at your two belts and probably replace. Also, the two bearings in headstock are pretty easy to change out if you have noise there. As Bob mentioned, indents may be damaged, but many would be useable. eBay, and the guys at OWWM.org site can give you more help if you need it. (may be source for parts)
    I finally got around to doing some work tonight on the 46-499 lathe. I took the top cover off and freed up the indexing pin. It looks like the indents are in good condition. Since I haven't been able to locate a hand wheel, and nobody has volunteered any dimensions for one, I'll get a block of aluminum and turn one by eye on my metal lathe. Can anyone supply a decent photo that shows the increments sticker on the hand wheel?

Thanks,
    Jack
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio

5" od with a 1" 8 tpi l/hand thread. you can also use a rockwell/delta 6" f/plate as they had both thread and mount a piece of wood to it. I made this to mount a vacuum adaptor
    I also have a new spindle for that model

ron
    Last edited by ron david; 10-14-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    5" od with a 1" 8 tpi l/hand thread. you can also use a rockwell/delta 6" f/plate as they had both thread and mount a piece of wood to it. I made this to mount a vacuum adaptor
    I also have a new spindle for that model

ron
    Thanks Ron,
    I would of guessed that the hand wheel wasn't threaded and used the keyway to stop rotation.
    I did some more searching last night and found these photos of the hand wheel I need.
    Hand Wheel.jpg

Jack
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hoying View Post
    Thanks Ron,
    I would of guessed that the hand wheel wasn't threaded and used the keyway to stop rotation.
    I did some more searching last night and found these photos of the hand wheel I need.
    Hand Wheel.jpg

Jack
    but you will note that the spindle is l/hand thread all of the way up

ron

You may want to check Plaza Machinery in Bethel, VT. I got some parts for a older delta lathe 6 years ago that I no longer have. He has some pretty obscure items.

Quote Originally Posted by ken kruizenga View Post
    You may want to check Plaza Machinery in Bethel, VT. I got some parts for a older delta lathe 6 years ago that I no longer have. He has some pretty obscure items.
    I emailed Joe at Plaza Machinery earlier today and haven't heard back. I'll give him a few days to reply. I bought a motor and controls for my Unisaw from him a while back.

I did find this cutaway drawing of the headstock with handwheel. It gives me a good idea of the overall profile if I decide to turn one.
    headstock cutaway.jpg

Jack
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio

On ebay, search Delta wood lathe, you will find many parts and pieces, also subscribe to 'follow' that search and you will get daily updates in email, you will probably find one in just a few days, hope this will help, Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Merrill View Post
    On ebay, search Delta wood lathe, you will find many parts and pieces, also subscribe to 'follow' that search and you will get daily updates in email, you will probably find one in just a few days, hope this will help, Clint.
    I've been looking for two weeks on eBay and haven't found any yet.

Jack
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio