Thread: Truck with Cap on back

Truck with Cap on back

I just bought a 2004 Dakota SLT long bed that came with a Ranch cap on the back. The cap is a high end cap for sure and has been installed properly. However, there is a clear inner tube mushed between the cap and the back window of the cabin(around the rear split window). It looks like a tub one would use in a pool.

Does thing need to be there??..I sent the manufacture an e-mail but have not received a reply. The dealer had never seen it before either...

TIA

Donnie,
    I've seen them advertised in mags before. They're supposed to provide an airseal between the cab and cap when the rear window is open. They claim it's quieter and warmer with this thing. I'm sure you can run your truck without it. I've had caps on my trucks and didn't feel like I needed one.
    Good luck with the new ride.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

We used to use something like that on one of my dads old trucks when I was a kid. Me and my brothers would ride in the back all the time (shouldn't do that, I know). It was supposed to allow you to cool/heat the enclosed bed by connecting it to the cab. I don't remember it working all that well, mostly I think it gave you a better chance of pulling carbon monoxide into the cab .

Patrick
    Patrick Lane

A friend of mine had something like that on his Toyota truck. After a couple years, the dust and grit that got behind it ground completely through the paint on the back of the cab - right thru the primer and all the way to bare metal!