Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Building a new house: from foundation to finishing, and all the woodworking

Thanks Jim, it's just that many people don't check other forums and those who have been following this thread might not see it. That's why I preferred it there.

Well the past couple of months I have been busy with lots of things. I ended up hand sanding all the trim work myself as I couldn't find anybody doing it. It was a ton of work, a LOT of sanding. Then the next 1.5 months was busy staining and top coating. Then I installed the railings and the past week or so doing some touch ups here and there. So after spraying 4 gallons of stain and over 18 gallons of top coat here are the photos of the things. I know things didn't turn out perfect (e.g. there is a slight difference in the shade of crowns and some adjacent work as I had finished the crowns months ago before they were installed) but I think it didn't turn out too bad either. The effect of natural light, my camera flash, and the projectors that I have give a different tone to the colors in the pictures but they are not that different when you see it in person.

st1.jpgst2.jpgst3.jpgst4.jpg
    st5.jpgst6.jpg

Doing this strange angle cut on both ends on the main-to-second floor railing was the most stress-full and difficult task I've ever done.
    It took me a good part of the day to cut that piece and I was doing it solo (nobody to hold the railing at any point or...). That was difficult.
    Similarly for the main-to-basement. That included 5 separate pieces.

st7.jpgst8.jpg

st17.jpgst18.jpgst19.jpgst20.jpg

That's it for now. I have now started working on the cabinets. You can see the temporary spray booth I've made to do my staining.
    It yet again another big project with many boxes and doors. I have to rush this as my painters are coming to start around mid Feb.
    I hope I can get the staining done and perhaps put up the boxes (or at least most of them).

Absolutely gorgeous. You should be very proud.

Proud indeed! I just keep sayin' WOW! with each picture. When will you be moving in?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank you.
    Bruce I really like to move sooner but I'm busy at my day job since Jan and can only spend 2-3 days a week (weekends plus maybe an extra day), aside from the evenings when I go after I get home from work. I am gussing spring/summer of this year.

Amazing work, Mreza. Could you explain which stain and finishing products you used and how you applied them? It looks even more impressive now that it's finished.

John

Stain is my own mix of General Finishes RTM stains (basically their #89 and #104 color 50+50). Applied by spraying very lightly multiple passes.
    The top coat is their pre-cat Urethane, sprayed twice, then sanded, then applied twice again.

Absolutely OUTSTANDING craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Mreza- At the risk of being sappy... This is inspiring, and these aren't $5 words... I read through this thread and it makes me want to do what you're doing... get off my butt, put the computer away and get into the shop, resist my impatient tendencies and work with an mind for the permanence of my projects... do the best job I can even if nobody other than me will appreciate the result, let alone the process... So yeah. Inspiring, man. Way to go and thanks for documenting this. Please do keep it up!!!

Again, VERY nice results!!Great attention detail...Remarkable!! Well done...
    Jerry

Ready to move

Well, after almost two years we are ready to move to the new house this weekend. There are a few small things left but they will be done after we move. The carpet (on stair threads only) will be done on Monday. Here are some final pics. As you see I have already started moving some boxes.

final1.jpgfinal2.jpgfinal3.jpgfinal4.jpgfinal5.jpgfinal6.jpgfinal7.jpgfinal8.jpg