Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for USA sourced Chinese laser

Suggestions for USA sourced Chinese laser

Does anyone have any suggestions for a USA based company that sells, services and supports Chinese lasers? I have talked to Rabbit already and I am looking for other suggestions.

Alternately if anyone has a laser similar to a rabbit (1200x900 80w) that is not too far from the Charlotte NC are and is willing to show it to me, I would appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Kristian,

I have not bought a laser yet, but have seen and heard nothing but good things about the folks at Rabbit. For what that is worth.
    Bell Laser is another option. Some of their folks are members here. And I believe they have advertised here for their tube recharge services.
    And another presence on the forum is Automation Technology. Look in the sponsor listing and you will find their info.

Be sure to go through the Chinese laser tips and trips thread. You will find lots of info on various companies there that may help you.

Hope that helps.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Thanks for the info, I have read pretty much everything in this forum on the subject over the last few weeks I was hoping maybe someone who had not posted before would share some info on the where to look.

I am very interested in a new machine, I just want to be able to see a demo so I can be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Bell Laser is another option. Some of their folks are members here. And I believe they have advertised here for their tube recharge services.
    I would research Bell Laser a bit before going down that path. There are a few things I found strange about their company when I was inquiring about a fiber laser. They have an address in Seattle but it appears to be a mail box site, they also have an address in Pennsylvania but that's under "World Laser". Emails are answered randomly and it seems that the owner of the company may actually be in China, not based in the US at all. I was all gung-ho to have them provide a replacement tube for my laser but all of the communication with them left me feeling very uneasy and feeling like I should beware. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would advise doing good research and checking references before doing business with them. A simple google search of "Bell laser" and another for "Greg rawley" will give you a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I would research Bell Laser a bit before going down that path. There are a few things I found strange about their company when I was inquiring about a fiber laser. They have an address in Seattle but it appears to be a mail box site, they also have an address in Pennsylvania but that's under "World Laser". Emails are answered randomly and it seems that the owner of the company may actually be in China, not based in the US at all. I was all gung-ho to have them provide a replacement tube for my laser but all of the communication with them left me feeling very uneasy and feeling like I should beware. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would advise doing good research and checking references before doing business with them. A simple google search of "Bell laser" and another for "Greg rawley" will give you a start.
    You got further than I did, I didn't even get a response when I inquired about a new tube.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    Gary, You are correct about the setup of Bell Laser. For giggles I bicycled by their "seattle" address and it is a US Post Office box. Their layout makes it a bit hard to find info on them. BBB has rated them poorly, but because they did not respond to the BBB about a complaint so you have little to look at. There was just that one incident. None of the states they are associated with have any background on them in the Attorney General's office.

While I never found really bad stuff about them there is just enough there to make me nervous personally. Folks who have recharged with them seem happy enough. But I have no idea as to the quality of their lasers. And there was enough there that I didnt bother digging that much further. Personally I would go with Rabbit in Ohio given the option. That is just my opinion though.

Lots of folks here seem happy with their machines from Automation technology as well.

By the way. You can do a search in here on multi word terms if you use the little magnifying glass at the top right of the forum. That will do a google site specific search. Add a space after what google shows you, then do a quote mark, your search terms, and another quote mark. So "automation technology" will do a search on that phrase rather on either word by itself. You will be able to work the forum must faster that way when you have specifics you are after.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

If your in NC you might check out Boss Laser their in FL haven'y heard a lot about them so do your homework. I just did a deal with rabbit laser mostly because of all the good feedback from here. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I pick up my laser 8/1
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There are a number of them.

What's your application? Because each one has different strengths and weaknesses. Either in design or in workflow. So setup your own pieces around that because you'll end up with a better product with the correct options that way.

I did some checking on Boss before I purchased mine from Automation Technology who is based in Chicago. I went with AT because they were cheaper and closer. In your case however Boss is closer too you I believe, it was more or less the same machine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Here's a thread I posted in on Boss...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Laser-LS-1415
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

QUOTE=Kevin Gregerson;2299225]There are a number of them.

What's your application? Because each one has different strengths and weaknesses. Either in design or in workflow. So setup your own pieces around that because you'll end up with a better product with the correct options that way.[/QUOTE]

I am doing a lot of reverse and front engraving in coated acrylic and romark type materials. These are then cut out as for the products. I would like to increase my ability to cut different thicknesses of acrylic and veneer mdf. We are a high end awards company and I would like to expand our custom product capabilities. Ideally I was looking at the speedy 400 or the fusion 40, but I can not make that work right now.

I have attached a few of the products that we have done. This is in addition to lasering engraving plates and things like flasks and wood products.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trotec Speedy 400 80watt, IS400 Volume (2x), LS100ex, Rayzist SandBlaster,
    Valiani MATPRO IX 150 Mat Cutter, Mitre-Mite T-350 double miter saw

I wouldn't buy a Chinese machine to engrave. They engrave MUCH slower than your average Western machine. For cutting, they are hard to beat. You get size and power for a very low cost.

Rabbit is the only company in the game that has been around for a while and has gotten essentially all positive reviews. At this point, I'd say they are the only company I'd buy from. The other companies seem to be just a step above buying directly from China.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I read most of the posts here and I just remember the overwhelming majority of Chinese laser purchasers having problems right out of the box. Many seem to persist for lengthy periods.

My business is not unlike yours and I couldn't risk not knowing if my machine is going to work right when I need it. I had to have my tube re-manufactured recently but even with that I've had only 8 days of down time in 8 years.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

That is one of the main reasons that I want to go see a machine. To see how it operates, see how slow it really is. Compare it to what I am currently doing. I have been working with Rabbit, as of now they have not been able to find someone near me to go look at a machine.
    Trotec Speedy 400 80watt, IS400 Volume (2x), LS100ex, Rayzist SandBlaster,
    Valiani MATPRO IX 150 Mat Cutter, Mitre-Mite T-350 double miter saw

Blog Entries
    Kristian,

Try this exact string for a google search. This will show you all the posts in Sawmill with both "rabbit laser" and "NC" in them. That might help you find folks near you. You could then PM the member. Note there are 2 " marks between Rabbit Laser and NC.

site:www.sawmillcreek.org "rabbit laser""NC"

Also, you might ask Rodney Gold and Dave Sheldrake about the approach you are thinking of. They are both proponents of Chinese Lasers, but are also in relatively large businesses that use lasers. And they are pretty realistic people.

Lastly, if you can't find a Rabbit or similar machine near enough to you for you to take time to travel to see it, could you ask the folks at Rabbit to video an example for you so you can see it running? Even if they asked you to pay for that service it would give you a good idea and be way less expensive than the time and $$ involved traveling somewhere to see a Rabbit. Beyond that...as important as your business is to you, I might even suggest just biting the bullet, flying out to Rabbit and spending an afternoon with them so you can the machines run and talk at liesure about all your questions. From NC that might make a long day? Or perhaps a day and a half? Not a bad investment in time given the $$ you are going to spend on this. And do the same with Trotec or Epi for comparison.

Ross and Mike's comments about speed of engraving are very true. Fit that in with your volume however. Are you doing medium to large production runs where the speed is critical to get everything done in a day? Or are you doing one off work for the most part. Also, bear in mind that while the laser is running you should have someone there with it in case of flame ups. While it is running you have a body tied up. Depending on how your shop operates that may have a bearing on the importance you place on speed even for one off random jobs.

And lastly...perhaps most importantly...keep in mind I am a laserless participant here so far. I am sharing thoughts based on following everyone here closely and digging outside the forum and not based on mountains of experience. Take me with a huge grain of salt. <grin>

Dave