Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cell Phone Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I hate it when they say they are free. You have to sign a contract so you pay for them over time. If they were free you could go in and pick one up and walk out without signing anything or commit to paying anything. That is like saying I got a free car all I have to do is pay for the loan.
    Exactly right. As with most things in life, there is no free lunch. It seems more common in other countries to buy your own device and get cheaper service because you're not repaying the service provider's device subsidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I learned long ago that Apple products are NOT intuitive. None of them are. By none, I mean Android, Linux, Windows, etc.

I always assumed that Apple was intuitive until I watched a person who regularly used numerous operating systems regularly struggle...
    +1. We have an iPad, Windows PCs, and Android phones. Navigating any of these is easy. Teaching my nephew how to create stop-motion videos on his iMAC takes some effort. Android is fine for me. It "just works" as they say.

I agree with the other sentiments about "free".

I've had no-contract Verizon for two years with free (second hand free, not pretend free) phones. Prior to that we used Boost Mobile for a while. Overall the service was good, but coverage was poor when we travelled to the rural Midwest to visit family. U.S. Cellular is king in those parts. Verizon roams well there too. I think Verizon just bought out some of their market.

Every carrier has good service in Houston. It is when you leave town that you discover the limitations.

My phone's power button went out a few days ago. To "upgrade" phones was going to cost us $25 more per line under the new contract. Be very careful of "Free." The phone I picked out would cost me $600 over the 2 year contract.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Late observation, but since you've been using an Android based device, that would be my recommendation for whatever you replace your older phone with...you're already in that "ecosystem" and even state at least one app you want to continue to use. All of the current Android phones use v4.x...v2.x is major, major old!

Me...I'm an iDevice guy with years of experience and investment. It's unlikely I'd move from iPhone for exactly the same reason I suggest you consider staying with Android, at least if you have any investment in apps and media. If not, then it's work considering a switch IF you like the alternative.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...