Thread: first time with leather

first time with leather

Hey everybody! Just run my first leather project and love the results! 500 mm/sec 30% power.

ForumRunner_20140811_151757.jpg

ForumRunner_20140811_151809.jpg

ForumRunner_20140811_151825.jpg

Forgot to mention, this is for a fellow ARMY buddy. We call each other battle.

Nice lookin work there, ain't it fun
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    You people need to stop this.

Those look very cool. Now you made me want to try some leather. And I got so many other things I want to try. My brain is a buzz with ideas and it fills up faster than I can try/experiment with them. I got some naked 1907 slings on my 1903A3 and Remington 700 223 target rifle that could use some "dressing up" laser style. Don't think I will be using my Les Tam slings to experiment with though.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Haha! My apologies! It is crazy what a guy thinks about putting in front of the business end of the machine! I'm having lots of fun though, great toy to have!

"Nothing like the smell of burning leather in the morning"!
    Apocalazer Now

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I can engrave leather no problem with my 50W chinese laser but I can't cut leather, so have you cut leather as well as engrave it ?
    Redsail X700 Laser, Creation P-Cut Vinyl Cutter, CNC Mill

Try masking the leather and cutting in 2 passes

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Donaghy View Post
    I can engrave leather no problem with my 50W chinese laser but I can't cut leather, so have you cut leather as well as engrave it ?
    Deane
    what type of leather are you trying to cut? If it veg tan you should have no problem with a 50 watt cutting up to say 6 or 7 oz. On the other hand if your trying to cut oiled sides they can be a problem. I go 100%pwr 20 spd 2 passes and still hAVE to use the exacto to finish the cut.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Deane
    what type of leather are you trying to cut? If it veg tan you should have no problem with a 50 watt cutting up to say 6 or 7 oz. On the other hand if your trying to cut oiled sides they can be a problem. I go 100%pwr 20 spd 2 passes and still hAVE to use the exacto to finish the cut.
    Well I'm new to leather and have some veg tan leather, but I also grabbed a bag of offcuts to experiment with and it engraves nicely but doesn't cut so good and I can only get about half way through 3 mm. thick pieces, so maybe the offcuts are not veg tan, I was saving the large piece for some real jobs and just experimenting with the offcuts which I hope is my problem because it can cut 3mm. MDF and acrylic with no problems.
    Redsail X700 Laser, Creation P-Cut Vinyl Cutter, CNC Mill

Try soaking the leather in cool water (not hot or warm) and see if you get a better cut. Try two passes also if you still get a lot of charring. FYI - I've cut 8/9 oz veg tan single pass soaked on my Epilog.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01