Thread: Shop layout - Suggestions?

Shop layout - Suggestions?

With winter fast approaching, and my desire for more tools having left me with more to try and store, I'm looking for a good shop layout.

I've got a bit of an oddball setup, with shop space split between mostly power tools in the garage and mostly hand tools (plus lathe) inside.

In previous years with less tools I was always able to easily roll them out of place and get the cars in no problem. Now, less-so.

A few non-negotiables:
    The Camaro is stored and de-insured (reduced to comprehensive only) during the winter, so needs a slot where it'll get covered.
    My wife's vehicle, the Expedition also needs a spot. She's pretty understanding and has no issue with leaving it out in the summer giving me more work space, but that'll only fly a few days during the winter.
    The lathe, power source for 3 phase equipment, and dust collector (DC) can't move substantially. By being on that wall, they serve both rooms.
    As much as I'd LOVE a dedicated shop space/building, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Nice to haves
    I'd like the option for the Impala to be able to make it in, even if tight for snowfalls. That makes my life a lot easier for plowing. It's okay if that means the shop isn't functional during that time.
    I'd like a setup that requires minimal breaking down. It seems like too much of my project time is spent moving around mobile equipment.

The bench drill press and mortiser are both getting sold this week, so no need to incorporate those.

I drew up in powerpoint a rough layout and just switched over to that as pictured below. So far it's already working better than my hap-hazard layouts before, but there's always room for improvement.

Forgive the mess, I'm in the middle of ~5 projects. I really need to finish a few of them before starting another...

Well it looks like you have mobile bases, which makes it a lot easier to try different options.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Yes, most of the tools are indeed mobile. Somewhat of a double edged sword, as it allowed me to be pretty haphazard in how I set them up. Sometimes that's a good thing, usually it just meant more setup time.