Thread: Thin parting tool on the cheap

Thin parting tool on the cheap

I was in Lowes to get a sawsall blade to make a thin parting tool. While looking through the tool section I come across a cheap sliding T bevel for less 5 bucks. I ground an under cut off of the bevel and will touch it up when I get home tonight and give it a try. One slot in the handle is longer that the other so I've got the short slot in top so the blade presure will be upwards into the handle, I believe that I can tighten the one bolt enough to make it hold tight, we'll see.
    Anyway, just wanted to pass it along and I'll follow up when I give it a try.

THIN PARTING TOOL.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like that blade continues through the entire handle... should you get a catch for whatever reason, it will be happy to slice through your hand. I'd spend a few extra bucks and get one where the metal doesn't extend too far into the handle. I like the thinking on this one, just not sure it's worth the risk this time around.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Looks like that blade continues through the entire handle... should you get a catch for whatever reason, it will be happy to slice through your hand. I'd spend a few extra bucks and get one where the metal doesn't extend too far into the handle. I like the thinking on this one, just not sure it's worth the risk this time around.
    Good point made. I could picture that happening. The Blade has a slot in it so drilling a hole through the handle and adding the extra bolt should keep that from happening.

I have found that a putty knife makes a great thin parting tool. Just grind the end to the shape that you like.

I use the dull blades from my planer. They are HSS and thin. I can get 2 out of every blade.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project