Thread: Review: Big Horn Bandsaw Tensioning Crank

Thumbs up Review: Big Horn Bandsaw Tensioning Crank

After two years of dealing with the knuckle-buster tensioning knob on my Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw, I decided I needed a tensioning crank. Big Horn, Peachtree, and Highland Woodworking all sell replacement cranks, though Big Horn's and Peachtree's look like they rolled off the same assembly line. They feature a standard 3/8" threaded rod and square nut, and a plastic crank. Highland Woodworking's tensioning crank looks much more substantial, with a 3/8" ACME threaded rod, bronze ACME square nut, and cast handwheel. However, the Highland product was over twice as much, and I couldn't justify the price. Big Horn had free shipping through Amazon and cost a few bucks less, so I ordered it.

Early reviews of the Big Horn tensioning crank complained that the square nut was too small for metric (Jet, Harbor Freight, Grizzly) machines. Big Horn now supplies two square nuts, one for metric and one for standard machines. The larger square nut was the same size as the existing square nut on the bandsaw, so that problem has been solved.

Installation was drop-in easy and took about 20 minutes. The greater leverage of the Big Horn tensioning crank as compared to the old tensioning knob made tensioning and de-tensioning the blade a breeze. Based on initial impressions, I would definitely recommend the Big Horn bandsaw tensioning crank. It's an upgrade I wish I had done years ago.

I would recommend adding two items to the installation process. One is using some loc-tite to secure the handle for the tensioning crak so it doesn't unscrew itself as you're de-tensioning. The other is to add a support bracket for the threaded rod, since you're applying leverage to a fairly long crankshaft. I cut a block of 2"x4", drilled it to accept a ball bearing, and screwed it to the upper wheel guard so the crankshaft would pass through the bearing. It keeps the tensioning crank from wobbling and possibly bending the crankshaft.

I've got the Ridgid clone of that saw. Bought it used and the knob was always hard to turn. Replaced it with the Big Horn about a year ago, difference is night and day. The threads on the factory rod were in horrid shape when i took it out. I should have done mine 2 years sooner!!

earl