Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was inevitable....

It was inevitable....

Friends,

I have reached that stage where I have been contemplating a move south and have settled on Osage Beach, MO. I have decided on a golf cart community and have no room for a shop and don't want to rent or buy a garage/building to do wood turning/woodworking. I have enjoyed a large heated/air conditioned shop with many many tools and now I am gong to sell it all. Here is my question, as I live in a small town in west central Illinois, there is no good source like Craigslist or Shoppers guides to sell on, so how do I get the word out and how have those before me priced there beloved tools? Thanks for any suggestions.....
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

If you don't have a craiglist-like option, you could look at Ebay and set them to "buy it now", so you don't have to deal with low ball bidding. What about your local newspaper? Do you have a woodworking retail store that has a for sale bulletin board? Local woodworking clubs may help, too.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Grant,
    Thanks for the suggestions. All the items would have to be picked up and the last time I sold an item ( Mortising machine) on Ebay the fee was almost 5%. The local newspaper has priced themselves out of the classified add game with 4 lines costing near $60 for 4 days.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

if you're willing to ship items - why not make a list with prices and sell them here?

then at least you won't have to pay ebay fees.

If you're not willing to ship and looking for a single purchaser - well, good luck.

Also try listing things on the Sawmill Creek classifieds ..http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...ek-Classifieds or the AAW want ads site.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-03-2014 at 12:01 PM.

You could successfully sell your stuff on the nearest "big city" craigslist - Chicago, St. Louis fr example. The big stuff will find a buyer who's willing to travel. Little stuff would move well on the classifieds here, if you're willing to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Grant,
    Thanks for the suggestions. All the items would have to be picked up and the last time I sold an item ( Mortising machine) on Ebay the fee was almost 5%. The local newspaper has priced themselves out of the classified add game with 4 lines costing near $60 for 4 days.
    5% sounds high, but you open up yourself to a much larger customer base. If you can get more than 5% extra for the item, then it makes sense to pay the fee.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    You could successfully sell your stuff on the nearest "big city" craigslist - Chicago, St. Louis fr example. The big stuff will find a buyer who's willing to travel. Little stuff would move well on the classifieds here, if you're willing to ship.
    I completely agree with Marty. When I check Craigslist for woodworking things I'm interested in, I'd travel 100 miles (possibly more) for a large tool that I really wanted.

It's more of a national economy today... heck, my buddy went from lower Michigan to Georgia for a motorcycle he wanted.

Go with craigs list, had one person drive 120 miles from upstate NY to Long Island, and another drive from Virginia in the rain for a different item.

I drove from just south of Milwaukee, WI to Syracuse New York to buy my first lathe. I bought it on eBay, but that was 12 years ago or so. If I were you, I would list your stuff on St. Louis, Chicago or Quad Cities Craiglist with "local pickup only." It doesn't cost anything except your time.

Blog Entries
    Ken
    there are several turners here that live in central Illinois list them here and see what happens. I know if I wanted something that you had for sale the drive would not matter.

All,
    All good suggestions. It's bitter sweet to sell your shop after o many years, but a new adventure awaits, so be looking for my ad in the classified section here at SMc as a first step.
    Regards, Ken

If you are an AAW member, they have a for sale section as well.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Ken
    Please post when you place ad, in classified section
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Ken, Congrats on your "new chapter" and I am sure the shop will be liquidated quickly, no matter how you go about selling. I looked up Osage Beach and my first thought was "that looks like a nice area" followed by "that isn't far enough south for me". Geographically it's further north than I am now and I hate the winter cold we get. Of course compared with where you are now... that is a big difference!

Good luck and don't be a stranger.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------