Thread: Do Two Corner Round Passes Equal One Bullnose?

Do Two Corner Round Passes Equal One Bullnose?

I need to mill up some 1.5" diameter bullnose for the window trim on my house. After that I can't think of another use for a 1.5" bullnose cutter. I was thinking that if I bought a 3/4" corner round, it would be more likely I could use it in some other project. It's also a lot less expensive. Given that I don't have a lot stock to process, the extra work is minimal. My question is if a pass on each side of the stock with a corner round will result in the same profile as using a bullnose cutter. It seems that it should. My only concern is if the corner round didn't cut a full 90 degrees of a circle. I'm looking at an Amana A-30-114.

If you are going to use a 3/4" round over, you can use the pilot bearing for the first pass, but you will need a fence on your router table for the second. I use a fence for both passes saves time, even then I sometime need to touch the center portion up with sandpaper. Using the pilot bearing can also leave a mark if you press up against to hard with soft wood.

Usually there is a step at the center of the bullnose when run in two quarter round passes because the bearing has a sloping reference for the second pass. This is easily sanded and hardly noticeable. Amana makes tapered bearings for some of their 1/4 round cutters just for is purpose, you run the first cut with a regular bearing then switch to a tapers nylon bearing for the second pass, keeps the alignment better. They are really meant for solid surface which is not so easy to sand but work for wood too. I personally would not like to run a 1.5" bullnose on a router in any event and have done it with a 3/4" quarter round on occasion..

I did it on all the window sills in my house. I didn't set it up to do a perfect round-over .. there is a narrow flat between the top and bottom radiuses, but sanding hides it very well. Testing on a scrap piece that is the correct thickness, you can determine how high you can adjust the cut while still bearing on the edge.

I bought a 1.5" bullnose at an auction and have never used it! Two quarter rounds works fine and is easier.
    So if you want a good buy on a 1.5" bullnose...

All your replies reinforced what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making some sort of dumb mistake. I didn't mention that the cutters were for a shaper. At about $200 for the bullnose and half that for the quarter round, it's a nice savings. I could get a rub collar. Using the fence made more sense for the reasons you gave.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wurscher View Post
    If you are going to use a 3/4" round over, you can use the pilot bearing for the first pass, but you will need a fence on your router table for the second. I use a fence for both passes saves time, even then I sometime need to touch the center portion up with sandpaper. Using the pilot bearing can also leave a mark if you press up against to hard with soft wood.
    This is exactly right.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Rowe View Post
    All your replies reinforced what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making some sort of dumb mistake. I didn't mention that the cutters were for a shaper. At about $200 for the bullnose and half that for the quarter round, it's a nice savings. I could get a rub collar. Using the fence made more sense for the reasons you gave.
    on the shaper you can use a back fence with a power feed and eliminate the step entirely even with two passes. We used to make dowels in 4 passes that way! An insert knife or a euro block cutter would be cheaper on the shaper for a full bullnose, amana has a profile knife for around $20 that does window sill nose cuts, may be worth a look.