Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting & seeing the little things

Blog Entries

Lighting & seeing the little things

I broke my third magnifying lamp the other day. You would think they would design them such that the wires don't break from the twisting and turning! My prescription for close up viewing has been changing over the last few years and I am finding it difficult to get clear vision at the computer Vs books, vs iPad vs...sometimes I get the clearest vision up real close by just taking the glasses off grrr!

I see LV has two interesting offerings with multiple different connection systems. LV sells a bushing that fits into a 3/4" dog hole that I think works with at least one of the lights.

Chris Griggs mentioned an interesting pair of glasses on the thread about saw sharpening gear. Since I have corrected vision though I am not sure how they will work. Maybe I will visit a CVC.

I bought a head magnifying system from Highland Woodworking. It has four different magnifiers in the one visor. It is a little frustrating to use for things like saw sharpening though and it does not solve the issue of light on the subject.

I am wondering how other visually challenged wood workers solve this set of issues?

Probably better just to order a light for your visor. I was too lazy to order one so I just walked around the corner to the Rite Aid (CVS and Rite Aid both carry the LED glasses) and bought a set of those. I have 20/20 vision so they work fine for me, but the visor is probably a better use of your cash.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-14-2013 at 1:47 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

My eyes have pretty much the same value,so I have used drugstore glasses up to 4X for years, May or may not work for others if their 2 eyes are different in focus. I hate visors myself,others like them.

Blog Entries
    I sometimes wear magnifier clip-ons with my prescription glasses. At other times reading glasses are worn over my prescripts.

For the computer I just wear a pair of reading glasses without the prescripts.

Saw sharpening is the biggest challenge.

When sharpening blades and chisels on oil stones I often walk out into the sunlight to help see better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have several of the LV bushings for my bench and they're wonderful, albeit overpriced. They appear to be a repurposed stock item from somewhere (they come with a nut that's not needed), perhaps designed to protect wires in penetrations through metal cabinet walls?

The big plus for them is they are sized to fit your basic office-supply swing-arm lamp; the type that comes with a plastic clamp-on bracket and appears to be "standard" at least the lamps I've purchased/.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

While on the subject of lamps, not magnifying lamps, anyone have any good suggestions for a brand? It seems that articulating arm lamps are all made very cheaply and tend to ALMOST be more trouble than they are worth. But I just can't work without one so have been through a few. I don't have trouble seeing up close and have contacts for distances so I do not want the magnifying type of lamp.

Blog Entries
    I am thinking about ordering the LV desk type lamp and bushing, is anyone using one? I need a regular lamp like Tony too, all the ones I have bought at the home stores die within a few months.

I ordered the LV magnifying lamp (and bushing) during their last free shipping event to round out a gift certificate that I had. I haven't really had much time in the shop to really put it through it's paces, but so far I'm very impressed with the lamp for the price. The ring-type flourescent puts out a very nice light too, and seems pretty close to daylight in color temp and spectrum.

The bushing seems to work fine with all the desk lamp type thing we have in the house, as well.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Aging eyes require more light. An architectural, angle poise type directs light where it is needed. For really small work, such as sharpening a saw, I use the magnifying visor from LN. My eyesight needs a boost for reading, but I am fine with a 1.5 - 1.75 magnification reading glasses. Using a 2x lens in the visor works for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is exactly why I wear my contacts. Every time I wear my glasses, I can say forget close-in work.

I know it may be odd, but could you get contacts? They're a lot better for your eyes (provided you don't wear them 24/7, but they even have those kinds), mainly because they sit on your eye and don't move (much).

Other than that, I'm actually interested to hear how people deal with glasses. . .we all know that there's a point where they just don't work.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    I have astigmatism "against the grain" hard contacts want stay in place, soft contacts do not correct the issue. They make a weighted contact but they are expensive and do not work that well according to the doctors I have consulted with.

I will check out the magnifying visor from LV Derek. A single lens visor may be better than the one I have with 4 different lenses in the same space.

Thanks for that report Joshua. I was doing well with a much smaller lamp built like LV's, at least until the wires gave out so that option may have the highest probability of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I have astigmatism "against the grain" hard contacts want stay in place, soft contacts do not correct the issue. They make a weighted contact but they are expensive and do not work that well according to the doctors I have consulted with.

I will check out the magnifying visor from LV Derek. A single lens visor may be better than the one I have with 4 different lenses in the same space.

Thanks for that report Joshua. I was doing well with a much smaller lamp built like LV's, at least until the wires gave out so that option may have the highest probability of success.
    I've got astigmatism too. I'm pretty sure my contacts are weighted. They're the AirOptix and $60 a box (6 lenses, or enough for 6 months). Kind of spendy, but for me they're worth it so I can focus on the end of my nose, if needbe.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

I have a set of weighted astigmatic correcting contacts I use for snowmachining and other places where fogging glasses would be dangerous but use my progressive bifocals for woodworking.

For anyone wearing the weighted lenses, try laying on your side in bed and reading. The rotate just like they should.. they just make the astigmatism worse!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    I have a set of weighted astigmatic correcting contacts I use for snowmachining and other places where fogging glasses would be dangerous but use my progressive bifocals for woodworking.

For anyone wearing the weighted lenses, try laying on your side in bed and reading. The rotate just like they should.. they just make the astigmatism worse!!
    You should try accidentally putting them in upside down. That's how I figured out on mine at least, the small imprint is on the *bottom* of the lense. The first time I put those things in and they rotated, I about barfed from the visual manipulation. My noodle and eyes weren't happy for a few hours after that.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Blog Entries
    I did a search and found an interesting light I decided to invest in. It can be used as a floor or desk lamp. It uses 21 LED's & reflectors as the light source: 2.0X, 4 diopter, 5" lens, flexible gooseneck arm... I have too many light bulbs and ballasts that need replacing to add to that vicious circle. I have managed to break the springs on two Architects type positioning systems. I am hoping the LED lights will run cooler too. Not sure I should post a direct link. It is called: Daylight UN1081 5-inch LED Floor and Table Magnifying Light, Black. Lets see how long it takes me to break this one ;-)

Adam I will check on contacts at my eye clinic again, even though I just invested in Oakley glasses with multiple switchable lenses. Jim I may just give in and buy a set of progressive lenses for my Oakleys, even though I just swore off them. Oakleys are about the only glasses that stay on my head with all the dogs jumping on me. The dogs think the little glasses keepers are bite toys so in my case those things can be dangerous.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 08-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.