Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWF question

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Seems like the ww'ing market is definitely on the way back up again. Good news for everyone.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    It's a mixed bag. Good for manufacturers, not always so good for consumers who are paying higher prices than a few years ago. When I stocked my new shop with Grizzly 5 years ago, many of the tools were on sale and/or free shipping. Now it's rare to find a deal at Grizzly. And hardwood prices in my area are up around 15-20% from just 2 years ago. But I will admit that a healthy economy even with it's inflated prices is better than a nasty recession like we saw after 2008.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    It's a mixed bag. Good for manufacturers, not always so good for consumers who are paying higher prices than a few years ago. When I stocked my new shop with Grizzly 5 years ago, many of the tools were on sale and/or free shipping. Now it's rare to find a deal at Grizzly. And hardwood prices in my area are up around 15-20% from just 2 years ago. But I will admit that a healthy economy even with it's inflated prices is better than a nasty recession like we saw after 2008.
    +1... It definitely seems to be shifting to more of a seller's market. All the desireable used machines that flooded auction houses and estate sales after the crash have been gobbled up already, so buyers cannot use the "I'll wait for a better deal"-line any longer. At least not if they actually need to be in production.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I asked a similar question back in January and was dissuaded from going. You might want to read that thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...13038-Iwf-2014

There was also a similar thread a couple of weeks ago in the "off topic" forum. It proved very similar to the one posted above.
    I was poo poo man number one in that thread. Nothing's changed. Thinking about it as a hobbyist, it was nice to go down there and talk to some factory reps about some things (fuhr, martin, minimax, felder, AOM) but it's not, or at least in 2008 wasn't, designed like a shopping mall, and some of the reps are not interested in talking to individuals at all, even if there is nobody else in or near their booth (we were there friday early, I guess that's why it was empty). There was more foot traffic in booths like grizzly, dewalt, etc, and festool was giving out shirts (I didn't get one, just noticed that there were a million of them floating around).

In terms of whether or not it was worth a 1200 mile round trip, for my buddy who wanted to look at sliders and who is floating in money, I think he thought so (but he saw what he needed to see in about two hours). For me, it was enough to learn that I didn't need to go again (I went thinking "i'll get nothing while I'm there, we're just looking at sliders" and still spent a grand on various small things, though. That's bound to happen). Actually, i shouldn't say that, I did want to get a jointer/planer combo at the time, but nothing of interest was there in terms of deals.