Marty, everyone is different and the tools they use to do hollow forms will vary.

When I started doing HFs, I used a Sorby hand-held and it liked to rip my shoulder apart! Granted, I was totally new at hollowing and did cause a lot of catches but the end result was that I was SO sore that I seriously had to think about if I wanted to continue in the hollowing direction or not! Unfortunately for me, Travis Stinson (fellow Creeker) was creating some beautiful HFs at the time and I just had to be able to turn that kind of art myself!

Soon after I started hollowing, I bought the Monster captured system and that made all the difference in the world to me as far as enjoyment when hollowing! A short time later, I picked up Randy's articulated system and also enjoyed using that! Odd thing is, because I was so used to using the captured system, I still use it for 99% of all my hollowing - including finishing! Really, it's just a matter of what you get used to!

So, as far as what tools to buy... I highly recommend that you get with your local turning club and find out who there is into hollowing. Arrange to visit their shop and try out their hollowing tools/system and find what works best for you!

Remember, this is all turning and turning is supposed to be fun!!

Looking forward to seeing your first HF!!