Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you tip your oil change guy?

Thanks all for the responses. Its good to know that I'm not the only one thinking it was improper for the guy to be asking for a tip. I will report the incident to the management - it was a local Valvoline oil change. Strange that it was the same one I went to and have never seen this happen so I suspect the guy was just preying on a girl to not know better. I'm proud of my daughter for saying no to the guy.

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nothing. $0.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just realized for the few times a year we order pizza for delivery, I always pay cash and always tip the delivery guy. I guess when I pay cash (again, rare), the likelihood I'll tip (if in a tipping situation) or dump change in a tipping jar goes up dramatically. At restaurants, I usually put it on the credit card and since there is a spot to tip, I do.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

When I see a "TIP JAR", I tip the jar over!

There is an expectation to tip waitresses, since they can earn less than minimum wage. A tip is required so they can actually earn a decent wage. I remember when 10% was recommended, then it became 15%, and now it is 18%. The places I eat at usually total up to between $40 to $80 to feed my family, so the tip is somewhere between $7 to $14. One server seems to be able to wait on around 10 tables or so. If each table tips an average of $10, then the waitress could be making $100 per hour in tips. This seems awfully high to me.

The oil change shop has to pay full wages to their employees, so there should be no expectation that they need a tip. It irks me when everyone appears to be asking for something extra. It sometimes ends up like blackmail as in "pay the tip or suffer the consequences". One time a guy at the airport asked for a tip to pick up a suitcase and set it on a conveyor belt 3' away. I declined and somehow my bag didn't make it to the destination until the next day.

Steve

This is not to debate the merits (or demerits) of minimum wage or its current level, but while waiters and waitresses do have a lower minimum wage ($2.13 vs. $7.25), if their tips don't cover the difference, the restaurant is required to do so. However, if a server is unable to earn that difference in tips, they usually don't last long at that establishment.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jason roehl View Post
    while waiters and waitresses do have a lower minimum wage ($2.13 vs. $7.25), if their tips don't cover the difference, the restaurant is required to do so.
    T I L

(It would be really nice if the forum software did NOT change my capitalization!)
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Originally Posted by jason roehl
    while waiters and waitresses do have a lower minimum wage ($2.13 vs. $7.25), if their tips don't cover the difference, the restaurant is required to do so.
    I am not sure where you guys are from but in California they all get minimum wage or higher so I tip because of their service not to cover their minimum wage and normally it will be cash even if I use a card.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Originally Posted by jason roehl
    I am not sure where you guys are from but in California they all get minimum wage or higher so I tip because of their service not to cover their minimum wage and normally it will be cash even if I use a card.
    The vast majority of states have lower minimum wage if you can expect a certain amount in tips.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I am really surprised to hear that there is any state that does not have a lower minimum wage for jobs where tipping is expected.

But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about anything I hear about California. I heard today they were trying to get it split into 6 different states.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Yeah, I am really surprised to hear that there is any state that does not have a lower minimum wage for jobs where tipping is expected.

But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about anything I hear about California. I heard today they were trying to get it split into 6 different states.
    If California do split into 6 states , how will the postal office handle their mail

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post

OK - NoCal, So Cal, LA, Bay Area, Wine Country, Yosemite. That should do it.

My mom was the hostess at the Mayflower in Wash. for years.

T.I.P.,is exactly what it implies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I have tipped my oil change crew, at Valvoline, at Christmas. Something nominal ie: $5 bucks, but that's been it. I figured this service was all inclusive so I don't tip at a regular oil change . My daughter took her car in yesterday for an oil change and the service guy actually asked her for a tip. Maybe its just this guy working the customers or maybe its typical for them to get tips??? Like I said, I didn't think it was like tipping your waitress or the valet parking guy. Maybe I'm off base. Do you folks tip your oil change guy? If so, how much?? Thanks
    I tip waitresses because their hourly wage is low with the expectation of tips. I tip people who do something beyond their normal job expectations. I tip people that I ask to do something I should do but can't, like when I bought some wood right after surgery and the guy put it in the car for me. I tip people that come to do a service in my house but are not well payed, like appliance or furniture delivery people. I tip when I feel like it is appropriate.

I don't tip people that ask for it and certainly wouldn't tip for an oil change.