Thread: Oliver 192D 18" Tracking Issue

Oliver 192D 18" Tracking Issue

Hello all... 1st posting... have mercy pls. :-)

I have a 1930 Oliver 192D (18") that I restored about 25yrs ago. Still works great
    but, I have now replaced the blade (1/4") with 1/2" along with new tires (urethane)
    and I just can not seem to get the blade tracking into mid-point.

These wheels are flat... the blade will constantly track to the outside. I've read where some
    say that is fine, others not so much. Any ideas. (And even with the upper wheel at an
    extreme angle it does not matter much). And I know that is not good either.

I was considering (because the wheels are flat, and crowning the belt is not an option)
    putting an artificial crown on the wheel about 1/4" wide.

THOUGHTS. SUGGESTIONS. And thanks in advance!

Call Bobby at Woodworker's Tool Works and order rubber tires.

Crown those and your bands will ride to the top.

It's simple physics.

Welcome to the board, Bob!

I had that same machine, but mine was mid-1940s vintage, and when I got it the tires were pretty worn so I sent the wheels back to Oliver (still in business) to have the tires replaced. They did a nice job, gave the tires the appropriate amount of crowning, and recommended slacking off the band each evening to avoid wearing a rut in the tire over time.

Welcome to the board Bob..

I have always felt that flat tires track on the front edge, and crowned at the high point in the tire. I restored an older 24" saw and installed Urethane Tires. If I did it again I would go Rubber ..

I would prefer rubber, but not enough to actually change em ..

I agree with Keith about WWTW. I had the same saw a few years ago, ordered the rubber tires from them (for a fantastic saw like that you do not want anything but rubber on those wheels). They must be crowned, after that it will run like a charm.

Steve