Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you Creekers are musicians?

How many of you Creekers are musicians?

Hi, All,
    I've noted a lot of the posters here build all kinds of instruments. It's very likely that to build a quality instrument, one should also know how to play it.

How many of you play professionally or semi-pro?

As for me, I play violin (both electric and acoustic), guitar (again, electric and acoustic fingerstyle), and mandolin.
    I play e-violin regularly in church with an attendance of around 1500 folks. This is an all electric, rock band setting, so I get to use all of my 'gear-head' equipment on a big stage with lights and all, and play real loud....
    I also have a partner with whom I play regular volunteer nursing home gigs, receptions, and occasional open mic sets at the Black Forest Acoustic Society in Colorado Springs. Styles of music range include rock, pop, bluegrass, traditional Irish and Celtic, Country/Western, traditional folk, classical, a little jazz, and freeform. A bit of everything! I don't do many paid gigs, so I consider myself a professional amateur!

As a note, I am truly inspired by all of the quality instrument builds you guys do. I have not even attempted to build an instrument yet because I am such a consummate 'wood butcher' when it comes to fine woodworking. Kudos to you all!

Blog Entries
    Musician here. 12 years of classical violin. Taught myself guitar, bass, and clarinet. The bands I have been in put out 7 albums / CDs. I used to play professionally (own band and session work) and composed, arranged and recorded most ouf our material. Now I do occasional session work and work on my own compositions / projects.

I consider myself as a guitarist (primarilly electric, but I also play accoustic).

I come from a musical family. In my family:

mother - Pianist
    brother - pianist & banjo (repairs and restores pianos and Banjos)
    wife - singer
    son - drummer / guitarist / recording engineer (professional)
    Aunt - Piano
    cousin - Cello / vocals
    Nephew - Guitar
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I am a gigging electric bass player (and have just started in with the upright bass -- much to learn there!). I have also done weird computer/electronic music for over thirty years; my ensemble has achieved some notoriety and toured in Europe a couple of times. If I could do nothing but music and woodworking (and hanging with my sweetie and friends and family) for the rest of my life, I would be the richest man in the world.

Do you musician/woodworkers find yourself especially craving a SawStop, for rather obvious reasons?

I play guitar,banjo,cittern,lute and a few other things. A cittern is an ancient metal strung instrument. They were called "English guitars" in the 18th. C. in England and America. As musical instrument maker in Wmsbg. I had to make some of them,as well as harpsichords and spinets.(They bribed me with money).

Most of my music playing years I played flamenco guitar,but lately also went back to Chet Atkins,and general finger style.

No saw stop here! I am totally Neander, so I don't use a table saw. However, that's not say that fingers can't be damaged by chisels, handsaws, and hammers, as well. I try to be as careful in the shop as possible. ( I recall reading that back in 1974 Steve Hackett of Genesis put the whole "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" tour on several months delay because he cut his hand on a wine glass).

When I look in the mirror, I see a musician. When I play, it's another story. I only know a few chords.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-10-2014 at 6:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am partially but not completely Neander. I have a Sawstop as I do value my fingers and the fingers of my wife and son.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Blog Entries
    I think everyone in my family has musical talent, some professional, except for one.... ME...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I am a "musician" more than a musician. Was a "guitar player" (get it?) my hands started to go, became a "bass player" for 10 years, now, I can't play at all. Miss it.
    Paul

I am a journeyman bass player, and play in the church praise band, and play and sing harmony vocals in a band that goes to prisons, nursing homes, and assorted local events. Have played in a pickup band of local guys that get together, bluegrass, country gospel, and southern gospel. Years ago played in a gospel rock band that traveled some. Played bass trombone in the college band, bassoon and trombone in HS. I had by far the least amount of music talent in my family, kind of the way it is.

I have and use power tools, but am more of a Neander by inclination. I try to use what is most appropriate for the job, so for example, when I built my shed, I wasn't about to use just handsaws for building the trusses.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-21-2014 at 10:36 PM.

I play acoustic guitar, banjo, and a bit of trumpet.

My sister minored in music and is an accomplished pianist.

I'm a dormant sax player. Right now I don't even have an instrument. Did the high school band thing. We even had a stage band that played a lot of Big Band/Swing, Jazz, and Blues. Everything from Glenn Miller and Count Basie to Chuck Mangione and Herb Alpert. It wasn't just an academic exercise, we actually did gigs. A couple of times we did a double bill with the Paul Nichols Orchesta, which was interesting since his son, daughter, and two or three others were in both bands. Over the years I've piddled with piano, trumpet, trombone, baritone horn, guitar, and lastly bass but even that was 20 years ago.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I'm more musician than woodworker, actually.
    Piano from the age of 5, and guitar enthusiast since 11:30 am, June 3, 1971. Give or take an hour.
    Currently center a huge percentage of my woodworking around luthiery and other things musical.
    Why save the best for last when you can give it now?
    Love. Reach. Teach.

Blog Entries
    I played in a big band for a period of time. They are incredibly loud. In fact, I think that they may have had the loudest stage volume than any other I played with. With my bands, the stage is usually the quietest place in the clube or venue. I am big on mic'ing the amps.
    Shawn

Another musician here..... Pedal Steel Guitar, also a little Dobro, mandolin, and mandola..... Started at age 14, in other works many years ago.

Robert