Thread: Need thoughts about a potential work bench top

Need thoughts about a potential work bench top

I went to meet a guy last night about buying some old SYP for a workbench I have been wanting to build. The guy doesn't know jack about wood and thinks his old, used, knotty SYP is worth a small fortune. Needless to say I didn't buy it. However, he has what he calls bridge planks which are some type of pine (can't tell you what they are) that are 6in x 18in and he has them in 8ft and 20ish ft lengths. He wants to sell these dirt cheap. I am wondering if a guy took two of these planks and joined them together, would they make a suitable bench top. I am not concerned about how soft the pine is, I know the arguments about using something else, so the pine bench haters can save themselves the trouble. I am pretty sure these planks are old, fairly tight grained for pine (I saw another plank cut open and slabbed out). I guess my main concern is all the bench tops I see are laminated, is there a reason other than the obvious one that no one can find solid pieces this size to use? Would I need to be concerned about wood movement and this slab not wanting to stay flat?? Thought are appreciated!!! Sorry, no pictures.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have a bit of a problem using the bridge planks. The only issue I would have is my thickness plane would not level them.
    I would find a way though.

They are pretty flat, all things considered. But I have a new (old) Sargent 22 which I am refurbishing, which I am planning to flatten the top with. Thanks for the in-put.

Flat, straight and 20 feet long?

What could be better?
    You've got the makings of a split top Roubo for Workmate money.