Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another thought about freedom

Another thought about freedom

I thought I would reproduce here my latest Adoption BLOG entry so a wider audience could share it. Enjoy!
    -------------

Today marks an important milestone in our adoption journey...the beginning of our month of hosting 2 beautiful sibling girls from Tyumen Oblask, Russia. Their plane took off from Moscow at about 6:40a ET this morning and is winging its way toward Dulles “as we speak”...err, as I write this, at least. To say that we’re merely excited is a bit of an understatement and dealing with a few last minute things around the house is proving to be therapeutic. Maybe...

Of course, this is also the US Independence Day Holiday weekend as well as the Canada Day celebration for our northern neighbors. Many, many folks are considering the concept of freedom this weekend, so an email I received from a coworker yesterday came with an interesting premise:

I caught myself thinking about the upcoming weekend, and I thought, how ironic that while the rest of the country is celebrating how we won our independence, Alison and you will be losing yours.

After a quick chuckle, I got to thinking about this. While it’s certainly true that there will be changes in our lives as we move from the so-called “freedom” that an adult-only couple has to the busy environment that a family with kids exhibits; in fact, we’re gaining, or at least taking advantage of, some new freedoms that our society affords us. The freedom to shape the world through how we bring up our children to care about it is prime among them. What could be more rewarding...and bring so much responsibility?

At any rate, sometime around 7:15ET this evening we’ll begin the next phase of this family-building project and undoubtedly learn a lot about many things...feet in the fire, as is were. Oh, my, this is scary!!
    ---------

No need to get gushy over this, but I just wanted to share the joy of this day with my good (and I mean that) friend at SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, congratulations are in order, and as one who adopted a cute redheaded boy some 32 years ago I want to wish you and Dr. SWMBO only the best. Once you bond, they will own your heart--and oftentimes break it. In the end, even though life usually turns out differently from what we want, the trip is worth it.

It will, no doubt, be a HUGE change in your lives. However, as you will come to find out, your life before kids was great...your life with kids will be just as great. Mind you, it will be a different great, but great nonetheless.

I wish you all the luck and laughter (the best medicine you know!) in the world!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jim,

I truly wish you and yours the best. I am sure that they will give you all of the joy, and hear break you can handle. In the end you will realy wonder how you ever got along with out them. The only thing better then raising kids is when they give you grandkids to spoil.

Remeber one thing when they are growing up they will think you are realy dumb at times but as they get older they will think you are getting smarter.

Yep, your post certainly proves that a father is a father, whether waiting in a hospital room or at an airport terminal. Children bring up a whole new set of feelings don't they.
    You can learn a lot from a child's innocent curiosity. That same curiosity will also heighten your own senses and give you lightening speed.

Congratulations again and good luck to all four of you,

Ernie

Jim, you are certainly doing a good thing for all four of you.

Curious question, just to be nosy. You said that you were hosting the girls for a month. Is that for the purpose of just getting to know each other -- a compatibility check? What are their ages?

Been brushing up on your Russian?
    Best Regards, Ken

Congratulations to you and your wife Jim. Having had 3 girls ourselves I can speak from experience, it is wonderful.

The best to you Jim, and your wife. It is a wonderful thing you are doing.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

i'm thinking by now they are all together someplace eating icecream and trying to communicate....I wonder what the picture policy is?

Congrats Jim! Exciting times they are. Hopefully jet lag won't be too bad. I know it took Sam a week to adjust his clock from Korea - and he was only 4+ months old. I took us a bit longer to regain our clock though!

All the best, Wes

Jim....... Congrats to you, your wife and the two siblings! 35 years ago I adopted 2 children and then had one more! Sweat and tears are thicker than blood! I have 3 wonderful children.....they all call me Dad......My two oldest know their adopted by me and that their Mother is their biological mother. I've offered to help them locate their biological father. They've declined the offer. Give them love and attention. It's the greatest responsibility you'll ever have with the greatest potential outcomes! Good luck.....Enjoy! They grow up fast.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Jim that's just wonderful!!!!!! No doubt life will change and there will be ups and downs, but though it all it will be lots of fun. Our 5 are all married off with kids of their own and some of them have children. That's where the real fun is. We get to spoil them and send them home. What a blast. I just love being around kids. There is ALWAYS something going on when they are around. Life never gets dull guarantee. Best wishes to you and your family.

DK

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Best wishes to you and your FAMILY....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Just a quick note...the "hosting-gotcha" went really well. I can't say how much comfort the Russian study we have been doing has helped in these first few hours; especially on Alison's part. While still a challenge, it surely made things so much easier at least having some basic skills to communicate.

The girls are beautiful, articulate and everything one could hope for. The younger was a bit tentative in the car, but was also over-tired from a couple days travel. The older girl is amazing and actually knows a little English; not enough to communicate, but enough to help her learn even faster. They both are quite comfortable with Alison and while not totally kewel with this "guy" thing, they will likely be just fine after some getting used to me.

After our three and a half hour drive home from the agency, we tried on all the initial clothing "inventory" and fortunately our size guesses were pretty good, other than the younger girl needs larger flip-flops. We'll do a little shopping on Monday to take care of that and some other needs...such as sneakers for camp and bathing suits.

They are presumably "in bed", but given their body clocks are still not even close to ET...the banging around over my head is quite understandable. I don't know how much we will sleep ourselves tonight, for despite it being a very long day...we're a little wired, too!

Oh my, what a wonderful day!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Atta kid Jim! You're doing fine. Provide them with routine and selfless love and smiles of encouragement.......in short order, they will think Alison and you are the greatest mom and dad in the world.

Something tells me their English will improve at a much faster rate than your Russian. Kids are amazingly resilient.

It's been five and a half wonderful years with our three boys........and my wife and I wouldn't change a thing.

Arnie

Jim,

I am very happy for you and my family wishes your family continued success in your adoption journey. Please keep us posted here and on your blog.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style