Thread: Tried and True over Waterlox

Blog Entries

Tried and True over Waterlox

I currently use waterlox to finish my projects, and while I'm happy with the end results I'm rather tired of the smell that come along with it. I'm thinking about changing to Tried and True original finish or varnish oil. Have any of you guys used this finish, and were you happy with the results? How does it hold up? Does it yellow light woods less than waterlox?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I use Tried and True a lot. My wife hates the smell, but she is extremely sensitive to smells. My daughter, who is also very sensitive to smell, has never complained. So choose 6 and pick 'em.
    the nice thing about tried and true is that it is extremely nontoxic.
    Paul

Tried and True and Waterlox are two completely different animals. T&T is oil, Waterlox varnish. Waterlox provides great protection, T&T pretty poor. If you want something that doesn't yellow wood and has low smell, but provides good durability, try a water based varnish. An added benefit is it will dry in an hour, be ready to recoat in 2 to 4 hours, and you'll be done in one or two days. Personally, I really like General Finishes EnduroVar or Enduro Clear Poly over a coat of Sealcoat shellac.

John

You cannot put T&T (oil finish) over Waterlox (varnish)...the T&T needs to penetrate into the wood and the Waterlox would prevent that.

I personally like T&T for decorative items, although the cherry desk I made for my wife back in 1998 is still going strong with just the T&T oil and wax. But as John indicated, it's not a super "protective" finish so that needs to be taken into consideration relative to a specific project and how it will be used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.