Thread: Old Delta/Rockwell Wood Lathe Restoration Help

Old Delta/Rockwell Wood Lathe Restoration Help

Hey all,

I just received an older wood lathe from a friend of mine! Unfortunately there was no manual, there is some rust on the bed and the tailstock needs some TLC! This lathe hasn’t been used or oiled/lubricated in many years. Could you please provide me some guidance on refurbishing this lathe! I have attached some picture for your viewing pleasure!

Thanks for all your help!

MT

n85wc4q.jpg

n85wcrd.jpg

n85wdnv.jpg

n85wfct.jpg

n85wfvk.jpg

Mark
    I would start with some light oil ( 3-in-1 or similar) oil the spindle in any places you think you can get oil in.sand the ways and wax them also the bottom of your tool rest banjo and tail stock. I'm sure someone with this lathe will jump in soon and give your some particulars.
    Have fun you got a good hunk of iron.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Harry, thank for your thoughts... I think I might tackle the tailstock first before I start to mess with the bed or the spindle. Is there a guide that describes how to dismantle the tailstock (CBL-402), clean, and re-lubricate it?

Thanks again!

MT

Quote Originally Posted by Markthomas Cutone View Post
    Harry, thank for your thoughts... I think I might tackle the tailstock first before I start to mess with the bed or the spindle. Is there a guide that describes how to dismantle the tailstock (CBL-402), clean, and re-lubricate it?

Thanks again!

MT
    Poke around on owwm dot org and see if you can find a manual. I spelled out the . as dot to make sure the post did not conflict with the boards rules.

I have a slightly older version of that lathe (1939-ish) which belonged to my grandfather.

If you put the handle back on the tailstock and crank it all the way out, the threads will disengage and you can pull it apart.

I cleaned up mine with some fine steel wool and some wd-40.

On mine there's a small brass oil lubrication point just in front of the handle where you depress a small bearing with the tip of an oil can before squirting in a little oil periodically.

Other than the tailstock, the headstock bearings and the indexing pin are about the only moving parts on the machine. If you need to replace the headstock bearings, you remove the bearing retainer (the round cap with four screws in it on the inside face of the headstock) remove the nut on the outboard end of the headstock, loosen the setscrews on the pulley, loosen up the belt and then drive the shaft out of the bearings towards the tailstock. There's probably a metal shim(s) inside there for proper spacing between the bearings and the cast housing so take note of their position.

Once you have the pulley out, you can take the indexing pin out more easily if it's rusted in place. Be careful of the little BB on a spring under it, which holds it in its retracted position.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new lathe!

Mix up equal parts of kerosene, Dexron II automatic transmission fluid, acetone and mineral spirits. This will clean it up and help stop any rust spots, use a brass brush to scrub the parts down. Then wash with acetone before you repaint the parts. If the rust is bad on the bed, do not use any sandpaper less than 1200 grit, the finer the better and wet sand if you must sand. Usually a brass brush with the above cleaner mix will clean most of the rust off. Wax everything after you repaint the lathe.

Take photos of the parts as you remove them, it will help you get them back together in the correct order. If you see any problem parts, look on eBay for replacement parts lots of people gut these old lathes and piece meal the parts on eBay.

Thank you all for your advice! I got the tailstock dismantled and have to remove some rust on the quill and the interior of the tailstock body. Do you all have any recommendations on how to clean this up without causing any issues with the tight clearances between the quill and the tailstock opening?

After cleaning up the quill what do I lubricate it with to prevent additional corrosion?

Lastly, what is the best way to remove the paint from the cast iron and where can I get the replacement paint color?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

MT

Boeshield is good for preventing corrosion. You can get it at woodcraft among other places. If you need to remove the headstock spindle be very careful with the aluminum step pulley. If it doesn,t slide freely don,t pry it or beat on it. Instead get a small torch or electric heat gun and heat it a little - to 150 to 200 degrees maybe. It will expand and slide freely. It bends easily and is very expensive. These machines also had bearing issues that are explained in the instruction manual. Also some of the old ones had nonstandard ball bearings.

good luck
    dave

I had this lathe few years back.
    I have some pdf docs about this lathe too.
    (1460 parts diagram, 1460 tailstock parts diag, and some generic info).
    uploading it to woodnet failed as the size is more than woodnet allows.
    i can email to you if you want it. (pm me your email addr)

i did replace the headset bearings in this lathe once.
    "the lathe book" by ernie conover - chapter 7 describes how to do this.
    i followed the instructions in the book and it worked fine.

Mark, I’ve enjoyed your thread. I am a newbie here and am just beginning to restore a Delta 1460 (1944) lathe. Curious how yours finished up?

Mike

I see this is a pretty old post, but whenever someone finds this, it should help to get the info I think.

I can’t upload the PDF, but I can give you this, should help I’d think.

1460 lathe.jpg parts.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-10-2018 at 5:42 PM.
    Have fun and take care

I have a 1460 like yours. There are various accessories that show up from time to time. You have one that is difficult to find, the sanding attachment. It is easy to make a sanding disc. The trick is to true it up on the lathe. Then it will run true. I could not find one like yours, so I just made up a box with an aluminum top.

If you are interested in other attachments I suggest you post on OWWM.Org. Craigslist sometimes will have things, but I avoid the other auction site. A really handy accessory is the jackshaft. It will give you 16 speeds instead of 4.

Oh, btw, you got quite the deal. Folks sell the cast iron legs for big bucks to make artsy tables. All in all, you are a very lucky guy!

I have a similar lathe. Looks like Delta 1460, but with only Delta nameplate (no serial or model number).
    When I disassembled the headstock/spindle assembly for cleaning, I found not only several shim washers on the outboard end, but also a partial shim. That is, about half of a very think shim washer. I'm wondering what purpose this served, for example was it intended to correct an alignment problem? If so, how did they keep it in the right position, and how should I go about positioning it after reassembly?

Rust-Oleum Dark Machine Gray spray paint is close to the color of the original Delta gray paint.