Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Well, that's something you don't see around here all that often…. white guys doing construction work!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Well, that's something you don't see around here all that often…. white guys doing construction work!
    We have a lot of folks wanting to eat around here of all kinds of mothers. Id hire purple guys if they were hard workers.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks a bunch for sharing all this with us, Mike!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Huge amount of work accomplished today on this floor!! Finished grading, compacted base, 10mil poly sheeting down and taped, 1.5" extruded poly styrene foam sheets down and taped, concrete mesh down and tied, 2560 sq feet of 1/2" pex ran in nine loops, and about 2000 wire ties twisted!! Plastic step2 garden carts saved me tonight!!

Next up, pex manifold install and a 24 hour pressure test and waiting for the ground to dry out so we can get some cement trucks in!! Floor poured SOON!

mike- i'm a WORM guy these days (Write Once in a while, Read More), but enjoying the updates/progress ... this is gonna be a great space. one question - why the blueboard in (what looks like) the middle of the floor?

Blue is just the color sold by Lowes. Pink is Menards and Home depot (Dow Checmical). I bought used foam on craigslist. It is all extruded poly styrene. The blue was 1/2" and the pink 1 1/2". Its what I could find cheap. $5 a sheet for the pink and $3.14 a sheet for the blue (almost double the pink) priced from different sellers. The pink is about $28-32 a sheet new at Menards. That is why I bought used. I bought all I could of both - 40 sheets of pink and 150 sheets of blue. The guy that sold the pink had no idea what he was selling/had - he could have easily got $10ea.

Very, very nice Mike. I’m probably not the only one who is green with jealousy.
    It looks like the corn has been harvested too!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My Blueridge Company Pole Barn Radiant Heating package included this RHT 1/2" 9 loop PEX Hi Flow manifold, ball valves and adapters, RHT pressure test kit, the 2700 ft of PEX B tubing with O2 barrier, wire ties, pex cutter, polymer elbows that I did not use, and wire tie tool. It has been holding steady at 50psi for 24 hours for the pre concrete pour pressure test.

Looking good Mike! You are going to love the radiant heat.

Wow....That is EXCELLENT!!! Lots of envy here...
    Jerry

Mike, Did you get the pour in yet? Looking forward to seeing pictures of that nice (and warm) floor, just in time for the winter months.
    Remember, in the next world you're on your own!

Last night we installed MeshUps (mesh chairs you can walk on - mesh compresses and pops up like bed springs and works awesome!!) under the mesh and PEX. This gives a consistent elevation to the mesh/PEX and does not require the crew to pull the mesh up. I have a 5" floor so we used 1.5" mesh ups. The mesh is ~1/4". The PEX is 1/2 so about 5/8"OD. So the PEX is just under 2 3/8" in the floor. We will have a 1.5" saw cut for expansion joints.

Then this AM at 7am we started the pour. No calcium and a cool day made for a super long day. Here are a couple pictures before it sat up for hand and power troweling much.

OMG. The concrete guys around here would have had the bottom 3' of walls totally covered with concrete splash, and then from 3' high to 6' high there would be hand prints everywhere. I've been hiring the wrong guys!!

And look at how clean that pumper truck is. Wow.

Mike, did they polish the slab after that picture was taken, or, is that as far as they went?

That truck was brand new - two months old and 700 miles on it. Yes they did - power trowled it and hand trowled. I'll get pic of that today.

That is super duper real PURTY!!! A fantastic job. Note to self: Don't ask Todd for references....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.