Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

This week I have been working on some slatwall sections (see video above), A 2X6 kickboard at the floor level, installed an outdoor outlet, and the north wall 1phase and 3phase panel installs. Also made and sold a couple plyo jump boxes for some crossfit folks from out of town. That cash bought me a new set of Makita LXT bare tools from a SMC member. Good thing as I killed the 3rd speed on my drill last week.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Lookin good, Mike. I too make plyo boxes on the side for some Crossfit Boxes. I found you can maximize material and get 8 boxes out of 7 sheets of plywood (20x24x30 box). If they're willing to buy 8, they save the cost of one sheet of material.

Did you box joint (no pun intended) the sides or glue and screw a butt-joint?
    -Lud

I glue and kreg them together.The top gets glued and sub surface brad attached. They see no fastners. I use this marine grade ply I bought so about $3 a box and the glue and scews is my material cost. Thick veneers allows me to round them over nicely. I cnc handles into them to.

North wall wiring weekend. I think I have 74 outlets in the north half of the building.

I know its not IL cold yet but the floor is nicely heated. Lower is heated water temp as it enters into the floor loops and upper is temp of water leaving floor loops. Radiant Floor Thermostat is set at 70.

Epic build Mike. I plan to build the same size pole barn next spring on 10 acres of land we just bought. I'm following your build with great interest and anticipation. Nice work!

Jeff
    Jeff

And I thought I was overdoing electrical outlets! You have me beat by a mile, Mike!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

very cool, very very cool. I forgot if you said it already but this is a hobby shop?
    I see you have small kids like me. Finding time to spend there is difficult, isn't it?

With that many GPO's (General Purpose outlets) and that much lighting, it looks like an indoor hydroponics setup for growing mull / hooch / marijuana to me - but heck, I think that's perfectly legal in a lotta states now isn't it?

Neat way to pay for a lot more shop tools maybe!

Just a hobby shop for wood and metal and electronics and sharing that stuff with friends - I have a full time day job that pays tthe bills so this is just fun. I have a few ongoing auctions on ebay on things I make but no job - maybe 10-15K a year I make on those
    No hydroponics lol.

Yes I have two girls 8 and 6 and they are out there with me all the time when not doing their dance and girl scouts - I have never found it an issue to be out there. I make the girls welcome out there and they love it. I get home at 3 and they get home at 5:00-6:30 (depending on what is going on and the wife does the dance and gs running. They go to bed at 9ish so even on the days they do not come out I have those times to work out there. I come in from the shop before midnight. Things I do not do are much TV or a lot of video games so that is the time I choose to be in the shop. I do not drink or do the happy hours, this place is my gym, and I am not into sports or anything so this works for me. The girls and I have bikes, scooters, footballs, tennis rackets, bb guns (for outdoors), archery setup (also outdoors), and tons of making and art supplies in the shed so it is amazing what we do out there. Plus they always want to help me do whatever the task of the day is. SO I dont have any issue being out there really. Its just what we do I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moone View Post
    ...for growing mull / hooch / marijuana to me - but heck, I think that's perfectly legal in a lotta states now isn't it?
    I think we're up to 5 now including D.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legali...._jurisdiction
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mike, I'm sure many are envious of that place. We built our house that was just finished this summer and I spent 2 years (beside my day job) working very hard to do many parts of it myself (it was documented here). My shop is very small compared to you (but we live in a major city, so land is not as plentiful).
    Anyway, I'm watching your progress with interest. Thanks for posting it.

I scored some pre black friday items thanks to forum members heads up. A couple clearanced roboreel air ceiling mounts (in the background of pic) and I convinced HF to honor the 20% off super coupon today on the 56" top box - boy they sure did not want to but they had agreed before I drove 40 miles to come get it). I also scored some of the Bosch 23ga pinners at Menards on clearance and already sold one that paid for mine. Thanks to everyone here and on WN for passing along deals.

A few updates.

Got the north wall electrical panels done. A 3ph and a 1ph.

Started the insulation.

Also got another 45X5 class CNC Router machine from a buddy - its on crazy Zambus Casters that are about 4" in Dia. I am getting it un-moth balled and reassembled. It has a 5'X5'X8"Z cutting area. Its all 8020 and steel. It will use a G540 controller and Mach and will use a Hitachi M12VC for now. The gantry uses the 3060 extrusion - Its a beast of a piece of 8020 for sure. The carriages use the bearings from the non-pro cncrp design. I also got a Jet Canister DC to use with it that is also on wheels. Also will use a Kent CNCDust Shoe.

This looks a bit more like a CNC router - Gantry and X carriage mounted.

My dad passed away on 12/21 so I have been dealing with the estate and getting things cleaned up. Work in the shed has really slowed due to that additional work.

Tonight I did get my projector screen hung up. Check out this video. It is a 200" diag powered Favi screen. Its mounted to my 14X14 roll up door frame using 3/8 eyebolts and locking carabiners. I hoisted it up using a 4:1 rope hoist commonly used to field dress deer - I restrung it with 100' of 3/8 braided rope.