Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I have a 6" collector drop close and plan to do a dust extractor line there too for the quick cuts. A guy online modded the Bosch Glide dust catcher to make that work better so ill try that too.
    Most people just have the SCMS firing back into a large collection box with an opening tailored to accommodate the saw when it is leaned and pivoted in both directions but if you are like me and make most cuts at 90* then you can use 1/4" ply and make an insert that fits closely around the saw as it moves at 90* to the wood and then attach it with magnets and put a handle (or two) on it so you can quickly pull it off for mitered cuts. That way you get excellent dust control for all the 90* cuts which for me is most of the time.

Edit: I can't remember if the Glider has lasers or shadow lines or nothing. If it doesn't have shadow lines (which I love) there is a guy on youtube that uses a sewing machine light to make an excellent shadow line on his (I think) Makita.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

This glide has a bolt on laser washer spacer. Not NEARLY as nice as my Dewalt's laser for sure! Proby biggest disappointment with it so rar! Ill look into the diy shadow line!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I love living vicariously through you. Question: that air filtration unit seems awful high up. How well does it work up there? This is curiosity and not criticism. I may get one for my tiny 12x16 shop because my shop is n the house.

I did not really have an issue before it was installed so honestly not sure. The platform its mounted too is storing a ct22 so it works for me. The udd is up there too beside it. Anyway i had it for about 5 years so figured id install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    This glide has a bolt on laser washer spacer. Not NEARLY as nice as my Dewalt's laser for sure! Proby biggest disappointment with it so rar! Ill look into the diy shadow line!
    I was wrong the guy I was thinking of did it on a Bosch

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I love living vicariously through you. Question: that air filtration unit seems awful high up. How well does it work up there? This is curiosity and not criticism. I may get one for my tiny 12x16 shop because my shop is n the house.
    I am reluctant to mention it, since I know how tough it can be living in a place that is apparently not a place, to source things but the best ambient filter IMO is the Bill Pentz model.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...ir_cleaner.cfm

This gives true HEPA filtration and you can scale it up or down to match your cubic footage and could be hung like all the commercial versions (which I guess with under 200 sq ft you would want to). I would add either foam or furnace filter prefiltration to it. The axial fans of all sizes are available on Amazon.

Thanl you van. I love the led light on my dewalt. This mod will be done as soon as the led light arrives!

I built this as a prototype, in 2008 I think, and I'm still using it. I thought I might need to close in some of the open corners more, but tried it like this, and it works great. I probably should have made that slot in the back of the box a little wider. It works okay, but does require cleaning once in a while. The slot is over a wooden plenum, with a 6" round duct connection under the center. It's only one inch deeper than the saw without it.

With a 3hp four bagger (largest I could find that will roll through regular doors) we use that, a jointer, and tablesaw with no blast gates inside houses, and no fine dust gets anywhere.

Thanks for the LED tip. Looks like building those Heathkits in the early '70's will pay off again. I never liked the laser washers. The lasers were too wide, and the edges too fuzzy to hit a sharp point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-04-2018 at 4:16 PM.

I am taking a machining 101 class at the local cc this semester. Did some homework at home yesterday. Used the metal lathe on some tool steel.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 09-29-2018 at 9:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    That was strangely satisfying.

Nothing like rolling a nice long strip string off the work piece. Looks like the piece has been knurled by the chuck. Is there a reason to cut going away from the chuck? I haven't turned on a lathe in 24 years but it used to be how I made my living. (Tool and Die) Look forward to seeing more videos.

I am actually cutting both directions.
    Making a screw for a hand clamp so thats why its knurled. Against the knurled end I want a flat shoulder.

Another movie weekend. Upped the popcorn output game too. 16oz popper and cart purchased with last weeks ebay 15% off coupon code.

Can I be your neighbor?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Darn...one stop "shop"-ing at your place, dude! That place slices and dices and jullienes...and then there's even entertainment!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...