Thread: New lathe purchase (Advice?)

New lathe purchase (Advice?)

I am in the market for a new lathe. My aim is to produce baseball bats now 5-10 a week and leave the posibility open for 5 each day. I've had extensive contact with a Minimax rep but am having trouble finding a heavy duty middle of the road (price wise) production copy lathe. So the Minimax T124 is the front runner.

I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a lathe of this type? Around 40 inch base, 3 inch diameter, built for higher production copy lathe as opposed to a fully automatic or fully manual machine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Well, the only other brand I can suggest would be Laguna. They do have production type lathes for spindle work, and duplicators, but don't really know about that type of lathe.

robo hippy

I remember seeing a production (copy) lathe of this type on Craigslist for months. Maybe in Dallas, Tx. The guy was using it to make bats.

I haven't looked in a while, but might be worth searching for.

What about the Vega?

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/

Tony is right, American made been around a while have one of the best copy lathes ever made if you check out people in the production shops.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.