Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Dinning Room Table Finished (Pics)

Shaker Dinning Room Table Finished (Pics)

Well, even though the thermostat said 106, I still managed to get the table done this afternoon... okay, not exactly done. I still have to spray a finish on it, but we're close enough to be excited. I snapped some pics while it was soaking in the rays after a coat of BLO. I can't recommend this step enough to those who want jump start the aging process. There is no substitute for good ole' uv rays, especially after applying oil.

It's pretty standard construction - mortise and tenon. This was the first time I used square pegs. I did this because I wanted square pegs in the chairs I building as well. They're smaller than I normally use but I watched K. Mehler's video awhile back and he used 1/8" pegs. It's a bit more subtle than the 1/4" peg.

The extenders came from Lee Valley as did the brass lock. I bought brass alignment pins as well, but I didn't end up using them. Perhaps when I build the leaf. I didn't build the leaf yet because of the lack of need. I figure I should use the cherry pile for other more necessary projects.

The one construction item that gave me pause was cutting the frame in half. I was going to cut it on the table saw, but it just didn't feel safe at 56" wide. Instead it was FESTOOL to the rescue. I clamped the frame to the multi-function table and cut it this way. Perfect!!!

The grain matching isn't the best in the world, but I did my best with what I had. Now I'll wait a week or so and get to work on putting the final finish on it.

Thanks for looking.

BTW, the dimensions are just under 60" square.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks awfully nice.

You mention cutting the frame in half...

What I do is cut the apron in half before glue up, then clamp it back together for gluing to the legs . This leaves two halves of 'base' that are kind of awkward to work with until you get the top attached, but it does eliminate the pucker factor of cutting it after you have all the work done.

KC

Nice work indeed, Jason. Just another FWW cameo in your future. How many leaves, and of what width, are on the horizon?

BTW, at this pace, you will start commission work soon, I am thinking.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Jason, that Really turned out NICE. I can't wait to see the chairs, and I really liked your little "Details" Underneath the table.

One thing to remember though, is that if you wait very long before making the Leaf, it will probably Not Match the coloring of the rest of the table for a long while because of the head start on the natural ageing/darkening process that the rest of the table will have in relation to the leaf. Also, it may be harder to find a close match to the grain you have in this batch of wood. ('Course, you've probably already thought about all this.)
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

106* ... but it's a DRY heat...yeah, right!

Jason,

Great looking table!!! That's my favorite way to kick-start cherry also. Nothing beats a natural finish!

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Jason,
    Beautiful table, lovely work and I do like those pins. -Steve

hi Jason, Very nice job. I like the attention to detail and the signiture and makers mark. Only 106 where you are.
    take care,
    John

Very nice Jason, as usual. Excellent table and nice details. Sure wish I could get in some shop time, maybe tomorrow evening (sigh).

Of course, if I only had to work one day a week, I'd probably get a few more projects done. Just kidding, I know my brother worked more than one day a week, and I am sure you do, too.

Only 106? Summer is just starting, wait until it gets to 110!

I've seen the fires north of Phoenix the last few nights, and they are impressive! I think it will be a rough season.

Again, super job on the table, but I expected as much.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Jason, that table is very nice!!! I can't wait to see the chairs.

Now, onto the more pressing question. It would appear by your stamp and signature that "Jason" may not be your first name. C'mon....out with it....

Keith

AWESOME peice

That is just some very professional work there Jason! I love your corner braces and the way you fixed the top to the base. The wood selection is also striking.

The level of skill on this board just never stops amazing me.

..Jim in Idaho

Jason, that's wonderful. Outstanding job!! The little details are also nice highlights, like your mark and those darling corner braces that while normally hidden, have unique character. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Corner Brace

Beautiful table.
    I am sure that the 106 is a dry heat, come to Houston and I will show you hot.

Where did you find the inspiration for the corner brace? Is that an original design or did you find that detail in another table. Very cool.

[QUOTE=Corvin Alstot]Beautiful table.
    I am sure that the 106 is a dry heat, come to Houston and I will show you hot.

My shop in Miami was regularly 104 & 90-100% humidity, you want to talk finishing problems.

Great job on the table. In six months it will really look spectacular.

Jason,

Your table is superb!!! It has a beautiful, sleek look to it via the legs & aprons. Fine craftsmanship in every detail - this is just an excellent piece.

WOW!!!

What are the dimensions & include the future apron...and how many do you hope to seat?

Every meal will certainly be a pleasure.

Thanks for sharing your talent!