Thread: Cherry and avodire box finish?

Cherry and avodire box finish?

I am building a cherry and avodire box, dovetailed joints. I was planning on spraying waterborne lacquer but should I use any type of oil finish or anything that I should put on before hand to enrich the colors of the wood? Any suggestions?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

It really is a matter of what you like but one thing is for sure, make samples of the complete process on scrap wood and make sure you like them before starting on your project. That way you can try several different techniques and decide for yourself what you like. Just be sure you get good adhesion of the finish by doing an adhesion test after it has dried. Here is the method I use to test my samples.

Thanks for the tips Rick. I always test my finishes with scrap left over from the current project. I have 6 scraps sitting here now, I have just never really used oils but I have read a lot about boiled linseed oil for Cherry so was wondering if it would be good to go before the lacquer.

I don't like BLO on anything personally. The rags are a real flammable hazard, the WB finish doesn't adhere well to it unless allowed to dry for a LONG time and it darkens and yellows with age. I am assuming what you want is for the figure to pop and for me the best way to do that is to use a card scraper or hand plane. The sheared fibers have a ton more chatoyance than sanded. For some contrast a dye stain could also be used but cherry is difficult to stain without blotching and turns a beautiful color all by itself if left alone. The picture is of a figured walnut board, the right side was scraped the left side was sanded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unfortunately I don't work with hand planes very much and the box is already done and sanded.